Lecturer in Biology (Re-advertisement)
FACULTY OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT
School of Biological and Chemical Sciences – WSB001
The University of the South Pacific is one of two regional universities in the world and is the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. We are supported by 12 Pacific Island Countries; Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Niue, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
The School of Biological and Chemical Sciences is one of the five schools’ in the Faculty of Science, Technology and Environment, and offers programmes in Biology & Chemistry at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The School has over 3000 full-time national, regional and international students of diverse cultures both as face-to-face and distance learning students. The School also has over 23 full-time academics who are actively engaged in teaching and research.
The appointee will contribute to the teaching of undergraduate courses across the Biology curriculum and will be expected to contribute to the online courses (development). The incumbent will contribute to the School’s postgraduate programmes, supervise research students, and will be expected to undertake research in his/her area of expertise. The appointee will also be expected to successfully attract research grants (from internal & external sources) in the thematic area of research and support the Faculty and University’s mission and goals as set out in the University’s Strategic Plan. The appointee will also assist with other tasks assigned by the Head of School. The position is based in Samoa.
The Person We Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- A PhD in Biology;
- Good research publications in ranked journals;
- Relevant tertiary teaching experience at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and/or formal tertiary teaching qualifications;
- Ability to teach a range of standard topics;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Willingness to undertake research as demonstrated by research publication records;
- Experience in online, distance & flexible learning and teaching in a multicultural environment;
- Some evidence of attracting external grants;
- Work experience in developing countries;
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching in a multicultural environment;
- Willingness to work as a member of a dynamic team and experience in supervising postgraduate research students;
- Ability to demonstrate self-reliance and can work independently (as the only school staff member on Alafua Campus) and;
- Ability to take advantage of the opportunities presented to develop research with other USP units and relevant external organisations including government departments and CROP agencies.
The position is available for a term of 5 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: Lecturer WST $101,117 to WST $133,048 per annum
Enquiries: Professor Surendra Prasad, Head of School of Biological and Chemical Sciences; tel.: (679) 32 32416; email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 15 July 2018
How to Apply
Candidates may use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at https://www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Manual and emailed applications are no longer accepted. Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.