CTY Online Programs Instructor – Computer Science
Johns Hopkins University
Casual - $21.00-$24.15 per hour
The instructor supports academically talented students enrolled in Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth (CTY) online computer science courses.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and teach lessons within curriculum defined by CTY. Lectures are not required.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Adobe Connect and e-mail, and within the course LMS (Moodle).
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress.
- Communicate with students, parents, IT, program administrators and supervisor to resolve any course related issues.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
Internal and external contacts required as part of the job:
- Collaborative relationships with the Senior Program Manager, supervisors, and Online Programs administrators and staff. Frequent contact with students, schools, and parents via telephone, email, and web-based virtual meeting room software.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university in computer science or related field with two years teaching, tutoring experience. Experience teaching one or more programming languages / technologies preferred. Master's degree is strongly preferred. Additional (graduate) education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU Equivalency Formula. JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
Required Special Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent communication skills. Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Must have a computer with broadband Internet access; familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Moodle and Adobe Connect.
Physical requirements for the job:
Ability to access and transmit information using a computer; dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery; the incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and email with internal and external audiences and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings; Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US and based in the US.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child - - Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
CTY Online Programs offers students in grades preK-12 challenging academic coursework throughout the year. For more information, please visit:cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline
Johns Hopkins University is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. The university promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.
For full application instructions and position description, click here