Nazarbayev University’s Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, is currently seeking a qualified Mathematics Teaching Fellow to teach in its foundation program to start in January 2021.
The foundation program (NUFYP) in CPS emphasizes academic English, mathematics, and study skills to prepare students for Nazarbayev University’s undergraduate schools. The minimum English entry level is a comprehensive IELTS of 6.0, and all CPS classes are taught in English.
Teaching Fellows teach up to 18 student-contact hours per week (e.g., lectures, seminars, office hours); additional duties may include: material/assessment development, invigilation, or special student support sessions (up to 4 hours per week total). Faculty also choose their community service work, e.g., serving on a committee, developing professional workshops, providing student support or pursuing community-wide professional activities.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
A successful candidate must demonstrate the qualifications and character required to effectively teach and work in an undergraduate preparatory program in Kazakhstan. Minimally, these include:
- Master’s degree in mathematics or closely related field with appropriate, effective teaching experience
- Excellent teaching competencies with the ability to teach cooperatively to deliver a unified curriculum
- Evidence of a strong work ethic, professionalism, and mature character
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to cooperatively work in a multicultural educational environment
- Excellent English and overall communications skills with the ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Compelling desire to invest in Kazakhstani youth and their educational development
Nazarbayev University offers:
- Internationally competitive salary
- 56 days paid leave per year
- Rent-free housing based on family size
- Relocation allowance
- Air tickets twice a year to home country
- No-cost medical insurance with global coverage
- Educational allowance for dependent children
To Apply click the link and upload (in PDF if possible):
1. Curriculum Vitae (max 4 pages-normal font and spacing): also include Referee Contact Information and titles for at least two referees and the contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. Note: referees/employer will not be contacted unless you are shortlisted and grant permission.
2. Cover Letter (max 1 page): briefly introduce yourself, summarize your qualifications, and confirm that you are available in January 2021.
3. CPS Application Information: In a third document, write two brief paragraphs (<150 words each): (1) stating why you want to teach in CPS and (2) describe your teaching talents or experience and special qualifications that you would bring to CPS.
Do not upload any other materials to your application at this time. Prior to shortlisting candidates may be asked to complete a pre-interview questionnaire before the interview.
Review of applications will begin immediately; the position will remain open until filled; initial interviews will begin in October 2020.
Questions regarding CPS, the program or the position can be addressed to the Director through Smart Recruiter. Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Nazarbayev University is an EOE.