Director of TERI
Position No. 336400-00
Job Title: Director of the Taylor Engineering Research institute
Position Type: Faculty – Administrator
Faculty Position Subtype
The University of North Florida invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of the Taylor Engineering Research Institute. The Director position is a twelve month administrative position within the College of Computing, Engineering, and Construction, with direct reporting responsibilities to the Dean of the College.
Candidates for this position must have a proven record of research in any of the physical factors that affect the natural and anthropogenic environments in coastal area (including, but not limited to: coastal engineers, coastal physical oceanographers, meteorologists focusing on events affecting coasts, coastal geologists and geomorphologists, hydrologists, physicists, applied mathematicians, and individuals focusing on coastal resilience). Qualifications include the following:
1. Qualified for a tenured faculty position at the rank of Associate Professor or higher.
2. substantial publication record in the coastal field.
3. ability to direct and build a program of physical coastal studies at UNF.
4. ability to provide graduate student support.
5. ability to continue development of a strong academic program in coastal studies,
6. ability to coordinate and continue development of a strong academic program in coastal studies at UNF
The Director must be committed to leading Taylor Engineering Research Institute in strategic planning which promotes a vision of cohesion, and program assessment in line with the university strategic plan. The ideal candidate will possess and provide evidence of the following in his/her application:
1. A record of leadership, integrity, and strong interpersonal communication;
2. An appreciation of the interrelationships between academia, private industry, government in fields of coastal and water resources science and engineering and the Taylor Engineering Research Institute. As well as a commitment to their mutual advancement;
3. A demonstrated national presence in his/her discipline;
4. A demonstrated ability to develop, grow, or advance academic programs;
5. A strong record of scholarship and commitment to excellence in research, teaching, and service; and
6. Administrative, managerial, or leadership experience working effectively in collaboration with a diverse faculty, administrators, and/or staff within a university.
The Director must represent the range goals within the Taylor Engineering Research institute and will lead the strategic plan for growth of the Institute, along with any restructuring of TERI. These Include:
1. Build a nationally renowned research and teaching center with strong relevance to Northeast Florida.
2. Develop educational programs and a portfolio of research grants that enhance opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students and also support the professional development of faculty.
3. Contribute significantly to the body of archival literature addressing relevant and pertinent coastal and water resources science and engineering problems.
4. Provide a balance among preserving the environment, protecting the population, and promoting prosperity
Duties will include leading the Taylor Engineering Research Institute, budget management and oversight, strategic planning, conducting personnel evaluations, community outreach and service, and overseeing growth and advancement efforts for the program.
The University of North Florida is a comprehensive regional university and is one of twelve public universities in the State of Florida. The campus is located seven miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean and twelve miles southeast of downtown Jacksonville in a 1,380-acre nature preserve. For more information about the city of Jacksonville, visit the official city website at http://www.coj.net/. For more information on the College of Computing, Engineering and Construction, visit the website: http://www.unf.edu/ccec.
Review of applications begins 12/15/2020. The position is open until filled. The anticipated start date is July 2021. To apply for this position, a candidate must complete a one-page online application in the UNF Human Resource system (OASys) at www.unfjobs.org, and upload a letter of interest addressing the qualifications mentioned above and a curriculum vitae including the names, titles, business contact information, and email addresses of three references.
This position requires a background check. In conjunction with the University’s policy, this position may also require a credit check.
The holder of this position is designated as a "Responsible Employee" pursuant to their role under Title IX. Therefore, the incumbent must promptly report allegations of sexual misconduct, sexual violence, and child sexual abuse by or against any student, employee, contractor, or visitor to the University’s Title IX Administrator or any divisional Title IX Coordinator.
Questions regarding this search should be directed to:
Esteban Cano, Committee Liaison
Director, Taylor Engineering Research Institute
University of North Florida
1 UNF Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32224
Florida’s "Sunshine Law" requires that all search committee business be open to public review.
For more information about the University of North Florida, visit our website at www.unf.edu. Applicants must apply online at www.unfjobs.org and submit all required documents to be considered an applicant for this position. UNF is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action institution.