Job Posting Title
Job Title Assistant/Associate Professor in Mathematics (Actuarial Science)
Organization Name Department of Mathematics, Statistics and Physics
Qatar University Profile
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University – faculty, staff, and students – are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication, Psychology, Policy, Planning & Development, Mathematics, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Science, Public Health, Biomedical Sciences, Material Science, Sports Science, and Human Nutrition. The College also houses five Master Programs, which are in Environmental Science, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS launched a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. In addition, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Humanities and Social Sciences, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is a major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Teaching specialized and service courses offered by Mathematics Program.
2. Contribute to various committees at the Department, College, and University levels.
3. Contribute to the research profile of College through research publications.
4. Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
1. PhD and master’s degrees in actuarial science from a recognized/ranked university.
2. Professional exams of the Society of Actuaries (SOA).
3. Have at least three years of teaching experience after PhD at university level.
4. Strong peer reviewed publication record.
5. Familiar with educational technologies used in higher education sector.
6. Must be eligible to work in Qatar.
1. Cover letter.
2. Current Curriculum Vitae.
3. Teaching, research and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application.
1. Three-year renewable contract.
2. Tax-free salary.
3. Salary is commensurate with experience.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with Qatar University HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and their dependents in accordance with Qatar University HR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with Qatar University HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with Qatar University HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with Qatar University HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.