We are looking for an academic researcher, Data Scientist that will help us structure the data and discover the information hidden within. We collect and manage large amounts of health, social, and geographic data, and need help making smarter inferences to deliver better policies. The primary focus of this role will be in guiding the data management, applying data science techniques, doing statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems integrated with our ongoing database. The appointee will help automate analytic and report generation processes, integrate machine learning techniques, support improvements and extensions to our data management capacity.
The incumbent is expected to have a growing profile in research and service / leadership.
Key result areas and responsibility
Designing and building robust data information systems
Extending our data with third party sources of information when needed
Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of its performance
Application of statistical and machine learning techniques
Contribute to the development of a collegial and supportive work environment.
Contribute to academic service, engagement and management within the school and campus.
Foster and promote relationships with professional bodies, industry and affiliated associations, government departments, and the wider community.
Participate in professional body and other external activities as required.
Undertake competitive research and high-quality research in the discipline / field.
Develop a coherent program of research.
Participate in and act as co-chief investigator in applications for competitive funding.
Disseminate research findings through seminars, workshops and conferences.
Publish in high quality refereed journals in manner consistent with disciplinary practice.
Provide effective supervision of research honours and HDR students as co-supervisor.
Aspire to be recognised internationally for research in the field.
Undertake administrative functions associated with research activities.
Key selection criteria
1. A completed PhD in a relevant academic discipline.
2. Excellent understanding of SQL databases and proficiency in SQL.
3. Excellent understanding of statistical and machine learning techniques and algorithms, including strengths in applied statistics, such as statistical testing, regression, etc.
4. Excellent scripting and programming skills particularly in R and/or Python.
5. Great communication skills
6. Experience with data visualization tools, such as ggplot
7. Experience in working with political science, epidemiological, or demographic data is highly desirable.
8. Data-oriented personality.
9. Evidence of a record of research outputs in high quality refereed journals consistent with the discipline.
10. Evidence of quality and impact of research outputs including journal rankings, citation indices, reputation and standing of publishing house, or equivalent esteem measures as appropriate to the discipline.
11. Demonstrated high level communication and interpersonal skills with a commitment to the development of a collegial and supportive working environment and the ability to interact with students and staff with cross cultural sensitivity.
12. Demonstrated commitment to applying relevant and applicable policies, procedures and legislation in the day-to-day performance of the functions of this position.
1. Commitment to quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
2. Demonstrated ability to supervise HDR students.
3. A history of successful competitive grant applications.
The position is based at SEACO office in Segamat, Johor, with some work conducted at Monash University Malaysia in Sunway.
Travel may occasionally be required to other locations within Malaysia or Internationally.
Normal working hours are maintained, and there is expectation that there may be some after hours or weekend work when required.
To apply, send your Cover Letter and Resume to recruit@ monash.edu and quote the job number.
Established in 1998, Monash University Malaysia is the third largest campus of Australia’s largest university. We carry with us the distinction of being the Malaysian constituent of a premier research intensive Australian university ranked among the top 100 universities in the world, and a member of Australia’s prestigious Group of Eight (Go8). From humble beginnings, Monash Malaysia has grown in stature, and is now recognised as a leader in the international higher education sector in Malaysia.
We play a distinctive part in Monash’s ambitious vision to be a modern and global international university, leveraging on our location in one of the region’s industrial hotspots to serve as Monash’s platform for scholarly engagement with Southeast Asia and beyond. We strive to address the social, political and economical challenges of today, and to translate our research into real world impact.
As a self-accrediting University, we attract students not just from Malaysia, but from all over the world. Approximately 8,000 students representing more than 70 nationalities are currently enrolled at Monash Malaysia, and enjoy a quality academic experience.
Since our inception, Monash Malaysia has built a reputation for quality, credibility and integrity, and is held in high esteem by our students, alumni, industry and government. We encourage critical thinking to help discover new ideas, reveal new perspectives and devise solutions. We maintain a long and proud tradition of excellence in education, combined with liberal values of enquiry, providing a fertile environment for bright young minds to flourish, and life-long opportunities for those wishing to enhance their education and career.
Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Established in 2005, the Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences reflect the increasing role of Monash in tertiary education in the Asia Pacific region.
The school is responsible for offering the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business, Honours Degree of Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business (Psychology), Honours Degree of Bachelor of Medical Science, Master of Biomedical Science and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programs.
Delivery of the MBBS program is spread over several locations with years 1 and 2 being taught at the Monash University Malaysia in Selangor. For the purpose of execution of the main clinical Years 3,4 & 5 components, the university has set up the Clinical School Johor Bahru based in the southern state of Johor.
The South East Asian Community Observatory (SEACO) is a major initiative of Monash University. SEACO is a University research platform managed by the Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences, and is located in the district of Segamat in Johor.