General Summary of Position:
The University of Massachusetts Lowell invites applications for the position of Chair to lead a well-established and active Department of Chemistry.
The UMass Lowell Department of Chemistry seeks a visionary Chair with a record of academic and research achievement in chemistry, biochemistry or polymer chemistry to supervise and maintain departmental academic activities while continuing their own independent research program. The successful candidate will be a nationally-prominent academic leader with an established record of excellence in research, education, and mentorship that can promote a culture of innovation, collaboration, respect and integrity.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is a leading, public, research university in the greater Boston area and has a national reputation in science, engineering and technology for solving real world problems. The Department of Chemistry has 27 full-time faculty (19 active researchers and 8 teaching professors) with 3 support staff and offers an ACS-approved B.S. in Chemistry (ca. 150 students) and has very active M.S. and Ph.D. programs (ca. 80 graduate students). The appointee will be provided a competitive start-up package, have access to high-end research equipment and have the opportunity to collaborate with numerous research-active colleagues from various science and engineering departments (Biology, Physics, Chemical Engineering, etc.) and research centers (e.g., Nanofabrication Center, Fabric Discovery Center, Center for Energy Innovation, UMass Med-UMass Lowell NeuroNexus Imaging Center, etc.).
DEPARTMENT CHAIR ANTICIPATED DUTIES:
- The Chair of Chemistry will provide oversight for the educational and research portfolios of the department and take its research and teaching accomplishments to a new level.
- Mentor junior faculty and oversee the academic development and productivity of the department.
- Participate in and advocate for quality teaching programs within the department, manage distribution of educational assignments among faculty, and manage the department’s large service teaching commitment.
- The Chair will ensure that department faculty work in conjunction with one another and with other groups across the college and campus.
- Foster an inclusive, equitable and diverse work environment.
- Facilitate an environment of collaborative research and conduct, including maintaining records of accomplishments and facilitating acquisition of external funding.
- Oversee departmental operating and discretionary budgets and expenditures.
Questions and inquiries can be directed to Dr. David Ryan, Professor & Chair, Department of Chemistry, University of Massachusetts Lowell, David_Ryan@uml.edu, 978-934-3698. All applications will be handled in a completely confidential manner.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Ph.D. in Chemistry or very closely related discipline
- Demonstrated strong academic leadership skills
- Outstanding record of publication and funded research
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, biochemistry or polymer chemistry
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications is received.
Please include the following required documents with your application:
- Cover letter
- Research Statement of research interests
- Teaching Statement/Philosophy and Leadership Vision
- Diversity Statement to include; Approach on diversity and inclusion
- Names and contact information of three professional references will be required during the application process.