Search for University Jobs in Sciences
Chair, Associate/Full Professor of Biological Sciences
Alcorn State University
Reporting to the Dean, School of Arts and Sciences, the Chair of Biological Sciences coordinates departmental academic activities that promote programmatic excellence thereby preparing students for global competitiveness
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated commitment and experience in fostering diverse, equitable, and inclusive communities for research, teaching, and learning are of particular interest.
- Demonstrated track record of articulating imagination through vision, innovation and strategic direction in transforming a unit, department, school or college.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching, research and scholarship and distinction in professional achievements appropriate for appointment as a tenured associate or full professor in the Department of Biological Sciences.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of the impact of blended learning on students is an advantage.
- Demonstrative administrative or leadership in an academic unit with involvement in fiscal planning & budgets, ability to lead and manage groups, other stakeholders and programs and engage students with transparency is preferred.
- A collaborative, servant leader with indisputable integrity and courage engaging the university, business and community to develop mutually beneficial partnerships for students is desired.
- Manifestation of effectiveness in written and oral communication is an additional preference.
Essential Job Functions
- The successful candidate will provide academic and administrative leadership for the department in its teaching, research and service missions as well as managing and directing the department’s fiscal plan, budgets and general administration.
- He/she will be expected to have excellent interpersonal and strong written and oral communication skills with a display of openness, integrity, and a spirit of collaboration.
- The Chair must direct and support faculty during the faculty lifecycle of talent acquisition, tenure, promotion, and performance evaluation.
- Through thoughtful/careful nurturing and mentoring, the Chair will develop both the individual and collective thinking towards significant academic scholarship and service contributions.
- Crucial to the Chair’s role is the ability to effectively assess and address student needs/concerns.
- The successful candidate will communicate regularly with students and use this input to develop departmental policies and procedures as needed.
- Responds to additional requests or assignments from the Dean.
- Earned terminal degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Biology or a related field in the Biological Sciences from and accredited institution.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience with progressively responsible leadership.
- Minimum of 6 years scholarly activity and research, great interpersonal skills and organizational ability, strong research background, and funding records with recognized professional accomplishments in the relevant field, and a commitment to excellence in teaching at both undergraduate and graduate levels are required.
- Must be eligible for tenure.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |