Lab Assistant (9605C) - 5258
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 14, 2020
The California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences (QB3) is a cooperative effort between the state of California, private industry, venture capital, and the University of California campuses at Berkeley, San Francisco, and Santa Cruz. In order to stimulate discovery at the intersection of the physical and biological sciences, QB3 promotes multidisciplinary research at world-class facilities, creates innovative educational programs, and fosters industry partnerships. The Institute's more than 180 researchers decipher the complex systems involved in living systems and discover ground-breaking applications for that basic knowledge in the areas of health, energy, and the environment.
- For both Landry and Schaffer labs, provides guidelines for lab safety training to all new lab members regarding EH&S safety regulations, policies, protocols, and maintains organized current safety training records for all lab members.
- Participates in Stanley Hall building safety committee meetings and clearly and effectively share and discuss critical information gained from such meetings with all lab members.
- Manages and ensures proper handling and disposal of chemical and medical waste in strict accordance with EH&S guidelines.
- Develops new and improves existing Biological Use Authorization (BUA), Animal Use Protocol (AUP) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) for all lab equipment and enforce and monitor SOP's relating to the use of hazardous biomedical materials in the labs.
- Hires, trains, and supervises work study students (in the Schaffer lab) who perform routine tasks of supporting the lab, providing clear instruction and sufficient time for questions and discussion, while maintaining high standards for work quality and output.
- Performs routine tasks of supporting the Landry lab for chemical inventory, watering and maintenance of plants, new lab member onboarding, updating lab roster, managing lab keys, and working with Landry lab FSA Sigrid Allen to coordinate new member HR matters.
- For both Landry and Schaffer labs, orders lab supplies, monitors lab inventory, unpacks general lab orders.
- Also manages lab equipment and implements systems to track lab equipment inventory to streamline equipment maintenance, monitor repairs, and reduce time delays associated with repair and maintenance work.
- Performs systematic checks and regularly maintained and calibrate all lab equipment helping to ensure that all such equipment remains highly accurate.
- Coordinates group meeting & subgroup scheduling for the Landry lab.
- Good organization, time management, and problem solving skills.
- Familiar with computers, basic word processing, and spreadsheet software.
- High school diploma or bachelor's degree in Biology or relevant field with 0-1 year of laboratory experience and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Technical Unit (TX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/tx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=5258&PostingSeq=1