There are two postdoctoral fellowships available inside the thematic project "Mining, Indexing and Visualizing Big Data in Clinical Decision Support Systems – (MIVisBD)", funded by São Paulo Research Foundation – FAPESP.
We are looking for candidates with innovative ideas to understand and work through the path between computer science and medical systems in the project scenario, who are willing to work in the frontier of such subjects. The candidates must have a recent PhD degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Physics, with a strong background in databases and data mining.
This opportunity is open to candidates of any nationalities. The selected candidate will receive a FAPESP’s Post-Doctoral fellowship in the amount of R$ R$ 7.373,10 monthly and a research contingency fund, equivalent to 15% of the annual value of the fellowship, which should be spent in items directly related to the research activity.
The research will be developed at the Laboratory of Databases and Images (LaBDI) with the Computer Science Department – Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Sao Paulo at Sao Carlos, and with the Medical School of Ribeirão Preto, and the Heart Institute, Brazil. LaBDI is well funded and aim at developing cutting edge research and experimental strategies that result in publications of high impact articles. The laboratory has an excellent infrastructure and a multidisciplinary team to collaborate in the study (http://www.gbdi.icmc.usp.br/). More information about the research project is at http://gbdi.icmc.usp.br/project/MIVisBD/ .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Development of methods and algorithms for data management regarding complex data and similarity queries.
- Development of innovative algorithms for dealing with large volume of medical images and video data.
- Design of new algorithms for semantic development of content-based image/video retrieval.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D in computer science, computer engineering, computational math, bioinformatics or related discipline is required.
- Strong programming skills and the state-of-the art database management systems are essential.
- Proven ability for disseminating research results by writing manuscripts and giving academic presentations.
- Candidates must be willing to travel in order to disseminate results and communicate with other scientists.
- Must be able to work closely and communicate effectively with research colleagues.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to interact effectively with cross-discipline scientists and technical staff.
- A good understanding/experience of or enthusiastic attitude to databases, machine learning and visualization, in the context of medical applications.
The fellowship is for 24 months. The candidates must send a message to Professor Agma J. M. Traina (agma (at) icmc.usp.br) by July 10th, 2020, using the subject: "MIVisBD PostDoc Application". Please send your application by email attaching:
1. A short CV: containing degrees, relevant publications, previous research projects enrolled and relevant information.
2. Two letters of recommendations (recommenders must send the letter to agma (at) icmc.usp.br
3. A short statement of research interest and background for developing novel research in databases and datamining for the MiVisBD project.