Research Assistant (7396U), Lawrence Hall of Science
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: November 28, 2019
Berkeley's Lawrence Hall of Sciencethe country's only science center that is part of a top-tier, public research university. This distinctive affiliation allows the Hall to partner with world-class scientists, engineers, educational leaders, and teachers, with the goal of developing and disseminating the most innovative and effective science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) programs available today. Our mission is to inspire and foster science learning for allespecially for those with limited access to science.
The Research Group at the Lawrence Hall of Science supports equitable and inclusive independent research services and collaborates on national initiatives to support the development and implementation of innovative Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) learning opportunities for both formal and informal educational needs.
- Learns to gather and assemble analytical and factual data.
- Learns to prepare reports and summarize information available on the assigned issues and identifies other matters of significance.
- Contacts internal staff at all organizational levels to gather information.
- Learns to prepare preliminary outlines for the conduct of analysis and assigned objectives.
- Provides a variety of preliminary analytical studies in support of a function, program and/or organizational unit.
- Contribute to the organizational priorities and culture.
- Learns to determine and locate sources for the collection of information and data.
- Executes special or continuous research and data analysis responsibilities.
- Skills to learn campus-specific and other computer application programs such as SPSS, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Basic understanding of qualitative research and use of spreadsheets to organize and manipulate information. Basic verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, especially regarding workflow and progress on projects to project leads. Experience interacting with people of different ages and ways of thinking Ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality. Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns. Skills to analyze information and learn to synthesize large amounts of data with strong attention to detail. Ability to work within an environment that is committed to equity and inclusion.
- Bachelor's degree in education, social science, statistics, or other related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience within the range $22.08 - $31.70.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a 1-year, 40-hours per week, Contract role. This position is eligible for vacation and sick leave accrual and our full benefits package. To see what benefits are available with our full benefits package, please visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/eligibility/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=2983&PostingSeq=1