A Postdoctoral position at the rank of Research Associate is available at Lehigh University. Depending on their background, the postdoc will join the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering or the Department of Mathematics. The Research Associate will be supervised by Dr. Paolo Bocchini (CEE) and Dr. Daniel Conus (Math), and work on a funded interdisciplinary project on innovative modeling of regional hazards. The successful candidate will have a strong background in computational modeling and probabilistic methods applied to civil engineering.
- A Ph.D. or an equivalent degree in civil engineering, mathematics, or other discipline related with the project.
- Strong personal, verbal, and written communication skills, demonstrated through a record of journal papers, conference presentations and/or grant proposals.
- Ability to coordinate the day-to-day activities of a project, involving multiple researchers in different departments.
Desired skills and experience
- Expertise in natural hazard modeling, regional analysis, hurricanes, and storm surges.
- Expertise in random functions and their simulation.
- Expertise in infrastructure resilience and community resilience research.
- Some previous experience with high-performance computing.
The appointment will be made at the rank of Postdoctoral Research Associate. The initial appointment will cover one year, with the possibility to be extended. The salary and benefits are competitive, and funding is available for the postdoctoral fellow for travel and training purposes. The appointment is expected to start in the Summer 2020. Given the current restrictions due to the COVID pandemics, remote work is acceptable until Lehigh’s campus reopens.
The review of applications will start immediately, and it will continue until the position is filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.
Application packages should include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, a research statement, and contacts for two recommendations. The packages should be submitted online at go.lehigh.edu/postdoc
Inquiries can be sent via email to email@example.com
For 150 years, Lehigh University has combined outstanding academic and learning opportunities with leadership in fostering innovative research. The institution is among the nation’s most selective, highly ranked private research universities. Lehigh is ranked best in the USA (fourth in the world) for research in Civil Engineering by the prestigious Academic Ranking of World Universities, which according to Wikipedia is "one of the three most influential and widely observed university measures", especially focused on research. Lehigh’s four colleges provide graduate and undergraduate education to approximately 7,000 students. This project is part of a major investment of Lehigh University in Catastrophe Modeling, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to work with a vibrant cohort of other postdocs and doctoral students interested in this field.