Lecturer Education Focused Academic Position
School of Chemistry
Faculty of Science
Reference no. 2034/1018C
Opportunity to provide and to inform innovative pedagogical practices
Full-time Continuing employment, Camperdown location
Academic Level B, Base Salary: $104,155 p.a. – $126,279 p.a. plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
Applications are invited in a Lecturer, Education Focused Academic position. Education-focused is an elite and specialised category of academic engagement reserved for talented educators with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design. A Lecturer (Education-focused) is expected to make a significant contribution to teaching and learning practice, design and evaluation within the School/ Faculty and will be on a trajectory towards leadership in educational design and delivery.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. It is expected that the successful candidate would be able to develop and sustain teaching excellence and contribute to outstanding educational design, delivery, evaluation and outcomes. This role require both academic and professional capability
- PhD in an academic field relevant to the discipline or other higher professional qualifications appropriate to their discipline
- A proven ability, commitment and passion for engaging in scholarly activities to inform innovative pedagogical practice
- Deep and broad experience in teaching and learning in a tertiary environment, as evidenced by participation in team teaching within an established program and experience in teaching in a variety of settings
- Demonstrated success in designing, implementing and evaluating teaching and learning initiatives
- A developing network of relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders
- Experience in supervising or mentoring others and/or coordinating team activities
- Demonstrated capacity to stimulate, actively engage and educate an audience using a range of media
The appointees will contribute to academic scholarship, research excellence and community service at the University of Sydney.
Please refer to the Candidate Information Pack for a detailed Position Description. To be considered, it is essential that you upload a resume and address the online selection criteria.
The School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney works with industry, government and the community to support researchers and educate aspiring chemists as they work to address critical real-world challenges. We are recognised as one of the top Chemistry Schools in Australia. Central to our research and teaching is a vibrant and multidisciplinary team of academic and research staff, well supported by professional, technical and administrative staff.
We currently have over 25 academic staff leading research groups, with over 50 postdoctoral research fellows and more than 100 postgraduate students conducting research towards their master’s and PhD, including a large cohort of international students.
This large group of researchers is well supported with modern laboratory facilities and instrumentation. Combined with our excellent access to major international research facilities, this provides an outstanding environment for chemistry education and research.
Our research excellence is recognised by numerous prizes and awards to individual staff members and the award of over $7 million in research funding each year. Our staff are also recognised for their outstanding commitment to teaching excellence.
Each year our undergraduate enrolments (Years 1-3) average more than 2500 students per semester, while there are over 30 students in our honours program.
Areas of research
- Computational and theoretical chemistry – Molecular design and synthesis
- Materials chemistry – Green chemistry and renewable energy
- Molecular spectroscopy and photonics – Drug discovery and medicinal chemistry
- Supramolecular chemistry – Biological chemistry and chemical biology
- Soft matter – Neutron & synchrotron diffraction and spectroscopy
- Chemical education
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 2034/1018F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 29 November 2018 (Sydney Time)