The Tufts Department of Biology has diverse research interests and is engaged in cutting-edge biological research in molecular biology, genetics, cell biology, neurobiology, physiology, plant ecology, animal behavior, and conservation biology. The Department of Biology maintains an active research and teaching program on the Medford campus and in various field locales, and trains and advises graduate and undergraduate students as well as post-doctoral fellows.
What You'll Do
This is a one year limited term position with the possibility of renewal based upon continued funding.
The laboratory of Dr. Sarah R. Hengel studies the intersection of repair proteins involved in DNA lesion recognition and homologous recombination. The lab is specifically focused on uncovering the underlying mechanisms of how DNA damage caused by environmental toxicants in DNA structures is recognized by the human Shu complex and repaired by either RAD51-dependent or RAD52-dependent damage repair mechanisms. The lab combines cell biology, biochemistry, biophysics, and single-molecule tweezers (C-trap) approaches to uncover novel insights into the mechanisms of DNA repair in aging, disease, and cancer.
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired by a Bachelor’s degree in life sciences and some experience in a research laboratory as a technician
- Ability to read scientific literature
- Ability to keep detailed records of all experiments in the laboratory
- Ability to create publication quality organization of data obtained in the laboratory
- Experience using cloning software, maintaining a lab notebook
- Use of software including MS Excel & PowerPoint, Graphpad Prism, or Adobe Illustrator
- Basic molecular biology: PCR, DNA extraction, primer design, ordering oligos, etc.
- Coding in Python
- The ideal candidate would be extremely conscientious, self-motivated, and highly organized, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Will work with insects in a laboratory colony and will sometimes need to be flexible on the scheduled working hours.
Minimum $19.30, Midpoint $23.15, Maximum $27.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.