Assistant Professor of Biology
Department of Biological Sciences
School of Natural Sciences
St. Edward's University
St. Edward's University invites applications for a physiologist to serve as a tenure-track assistant professor in the Department of Biological Sciences, beginning August 2022. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to supporting a diverse student body at a Hispanic-serving Institution. St. Edward's University embraces excellence through diversity and especially encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented racial, ethnic, sexual, and gender minority groups.
- Teach Human Physiology and Human Anatomy for Biology majors
- Teach Neuroscience courses for Biology and Behavioral Neuroscience majors.
- Teach General Biology courses for Biology majors.
- Advise undergraduate students.
- Develop a successful research program involving undergraduates that is compatible with the resources available at a primarily undergraduate, liberal arts institution.
- Contribute to the department, school, and university via service engagements.
- Other required duties as outlined in the St. Edward's University Faculty Manual.
- Ph.D. in Biological Sciences required
- A strong commitment to inclusive excellence in teaching and research
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled, with full consideration given to those received by 11/30/2021. Applicants should submit their application and all requested documentation online through https://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/
A complete application packet will include:
About St. Edward's University
- Cover letter, addressing why the applicant is a good fit for the position and indicating a commitment to the university's mission (http://www.stedwards.edu/about/mission).
- Curriculum Vita
- Teaching philosophy tailored to teaching the aforementioned courses (2 page maximum).
- A statement of research interests which details the candidate's experience with, and vision for, mentoring students from underrepresented backgrounds (2 page maximum).
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion statement that details the candidate's (1) knowledge, (2) track record, and (3) plans for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion as a professional at St. Edward's University (2 page maximum). Your DEI statement should be included as a separate document and should not contain your name or any other personally identifiable information. For further guidance, please visit the St. Edward's University website on DEI https://www.stedwards.edu/about-us/diversity-equity-inclusion
- The names and contact information for three references. The references will not be contacted until the interview stage and only after notifying the candidate.
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic, liberal arts institution of 2,900 undergraduate and 700 graduate students located in Austin, Texas. It is an exciting time to be part of the St. Edward's community as the university increases its global engagement to educate students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st century world. SEU is a diverse community that appreciates faculty and students from all backgrounds. The Department of Biological Sciences is part of the School of Natural Sciences and offers bachelor's degrees in Biology, Bioinformatics, Environmental Biology and Climate Change, and Medical Laboratory Science. (For more information visit https://www.stedwards.edu/natural-sciences/biological-sciences
). The School of Natural Sciences hosts the Wild Basin Creative Research Center, a 227-acre preserve that is open to the public and supports university teaching and research activities (https://www.stedwards.edu/academics/centers-institutes/wild-basin-creative-research-center
). The school is also home to the Institute for Interdisciplinary Science, an NSF-funded center that fosters cross sector partnerships, interdisciplinary collaborations, and training in informatics and emerging technologies (https://www.stedwards.edu/academics/centers-institutes/institute-interdisciplinary-science-i4
Reference #: J2020148
Available: Fall 2022
About St. Edward's University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
About Austin, Texas
Consistently ranked as one of the "top metropolitan areas to live in," by numerous independent media outlets, Austin attracts approximately 50 new residents a day and has been one of the nation's fasting growing cities. St. Edward's is in the heart of this thriving, entrepreneurial and cosmopolitan city, providing students, faculty and staff with opportunities to live, learn and grow in an environment that offers a wealth of resources and opportunities. In fact, Austin is home to 17 companies on the Inc. 5000 list and boasts 1.7 times the national average of startups. Additionally, as one of the world's great technology centers, Austin, sometimes referred to as "Silicon Hills," is home to technology heavyweights like Dell, National Instruments and Silicon Labs.
For more on the City of Austin's offerings, visit The Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit an online application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com
Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply to our vacancies and hire only U.S. Citizens and documented workers. We do not offer sponsorship at this time.