Search for University Jobs in Sciences
Staff Research Associate 4 (9610C), QB3 Institute - 45684
University of California, Berkeley
Staff Research Associate 4 (9610C), QB3 Institute - 45684
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
QB3 is presently seeking a highly motivated Staff Research Associate to perform research on molecular systems enabling the therapeutic delivery of genome editing reagents such as the CRISPR-Cas9 enzyme. This interdisciplinary work will be performed at UC Berkeley, centered in the laboratory of Ross Wilson, the Innovative Genomics Institute's Director of Therapeutic Delivery. The employee will be required to work on multiple projects in parallel and be engaged in complex research projects in collaboration with other labs based at UC Berkeley, UCSF, UC Davis, and the University of Southern California.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 1, 2022
- Independently perform high-throughput genome editing assays in tissue culture.
- These assays may utilize primary cells, human cell lines, or other mammalian cells.
- Responsibilities include planning practical details of experiments (including calculating reagent dilutions, scheduling instrumentation, and ensuring that necessary supplies are adequately stocked).
- Independently perform data processing and analysis of high-throughput genome editing assays performed in tissue culture.
- This involves quality control checks (verification that positive and negative controls worked) and establishing correlations between effective editing conditions and the reagents or formulations responsible.
- Designing, planning, and executing experiments to address broad questions and project goals.
- Read and abstract scientific literature pertaining to the field of work, proceeding without specific direction to organize and work out all techniques involved.
- Training of mentees (lab staff including SRA IIs) in established research protocols.
- Advise junior research associates with troubleshooting, providing guidance and assistance when they are unable to solve problems with their assigned research tasks.
- Note-taking & data maintenance.
- Use lab computers and software to record and compile data; prepare results for presentation.
- Presenting data and project updates in meetings with collaborators and conferences.
- Co-authoring manuscripts to which they contributed with PI.
- Writing methods sections and figure legends in manuscripts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with genetic manipulation of mammalian cells using site-specific endonucleases (e.g. CRISPR-Cas9 and -Cas12a) and derived technologies (e.g. base editors).
- Experience with tissue culture of mammalian cell lines such as HEK293T cells, DC2.4 cells, THP1 cells (including fluorescent reporters e.g. GFP on/off, GFP-to-BFP, etc.) as well as primary cells relevant to genetic therapeutic development (e.g. primary T cells).
- Experience with isolation of lymphocytes from mouse tissues such as the spleen, and purification of sub-type of immune cells for culturing and subsequent genetic manipulation.
- Experience carrying out high-throughput screening of reagents for genome editing efficiency, including the selection and validation of guide RNA sequences for CRISPR-based genome editing as well as applying sequencing methods such as amplicon-based next-generation sequencing (NGS), Sanger sequencing and analysis, and/or droplet digital PCR (ddPCR).
- Experience with flow cytometry to detect results of genome editing assays in specific cellular sub-populations including design of multi-color flow panels and single-cell sorting; experience with FlowJo (or equivalent) software.
- Experience with designing amplicons for next-generation sequencing.
- Experience with molecular cloning to produce modified gene editing enzymes and insert point mutations; experience with Snapgene (or equivalent) software.
- The ability to troubleshoot techniques and experiments, adapt published protocols to specific experiments, and develop new experimental methods as needed.
- Ability to work on multiple assignments, set priorities, reprioritize with ease mid-task, and take initiative in defining and executing work.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on a team.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially regarding technical details, instrumentation, etc.
- Excellent organization skills (keeping track of work schedule, paperwork, sample storage, and inventory), including use of electronic/shared laboratory notebook systems (e.g. Benchling).
- General computer skills (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, cloud-based Google apps) for keeping track of results and sharing progress, including the use of electronic laboratory inventory systems; experience with GraphPad Prism (or comparable) software.
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques: PCR; electrophoresis; western blot; microscopy; concentrating or desalting samples using centrifugal columns.
- Experience with standard tissue culture techniques including sterile techniques for tissue culture BSL-2 facility and adherence to all campus safety policies.
- A proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, and problem-solve with little oversight.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally as required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with, efficiently work with, and maintain external collaborations with a diverse group of researchers.
- Ability to refer to scientific literature and determine methods or solutions to experimental design issues and design assays and experiments to answer critical questions and fulfill project goals.
- Experience with analytical biochemistry of macromolecules (e.g. dynamic light scattering, analytical, biolayer interferometry, etc.).
- Master's degree (or equivalent training or degree) in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Cell Biology, or a related field and a minimum of 6 years of research experience in an academic or industrial setting in a relevant field.
Salary & Benefits
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is exempt and paid monthly. The annual salary for this role is commensurate with experience.
- This position is open for visa sponsorship.
- For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume section of your application.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Research Support Professionals Unit (RX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/rx/index.html
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=45684&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |