The Department of Ocean and Earth Sciences at Old Dominion University (ODU) seeks highly qualified faculty candidates for Department Chair, starting as soon as Spring 2024. We seek an accomplished colleague within the broad area of Ocean and Earth Sciences to complement an interdisciplinary faculty and provide ongoing leadership for expanding programs in oceanography, coastal geosciences and climate adaptation. We are interested in candidates using novel and interdisciplinary approaches to tackle the next generation of research challenges.
The successful chair candidate will also be considered for selection as the Endowed Slover Professor of Ocean and Earth Sciences. They will be expected to bring and maintain an externally-funded research program, contribute to teaching and mentoring of graduate students, and provide leadership for departmental and ODU’s interdisciplinary research activities, which include our maritime and sea-level rise programs and the Institute for Coastal Adaptation and Resilience
. The Department of Ocean & Earth Sciences
has 25 faculty positions with multiple strengths across the oceanographic and geoscience disciplines.
Minimum Qualifications - knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Faculty experience at an accredited institution.
- Eligible for appointment at the rank of Professor with tenure.
- History of scholarly publications and sustained record of funded research, student mentoring and demonstrated experience teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Excellence in interpersonal skills and written communication.
- Prior leadership activities in research and academic settings.
Minimum Qualifications - Education or training
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Ocean Science, Geoscience, or a related field.