The Department of Infectious Disease and Global Health combines public/population health, international medicine, wildlife and conservation medicine and infectious disease teaching and research.
The department’s goal is to improve human, animal and ecosystem health locally, nationally and internationally. Investigators within Infectious Diseases are interested in studying the pathogenesis and developing and evaluating candidate therapeutics or vaccines against a variety of infectious and toxic agents.
The Master’s Program in Infectious Disease and Global Health (MS IDGH) is a rigorous one-year graduate program focused on providing students with an in-depth understanding of major infectious agents and diseases they inflict on human and animal populations across the globe. The program also provides training with various laboratory techniques as they apply to infectious disease diagnosis, immunotherapy, molecular biology, and microbiology, and hands-on experience with animal models of infectious diseases.
What You'll Do
This is a part-time position and will involve a variety of laboratory and animal model-related tasks under the supervision of the program director.
The position (17.5 h per week) will provide support to the MS IDGH program.
MS IDGH program responsibilities include:
- Provide technical assistance to faculty and students in the laboratory techniques courses including animal model course
- Performing laboratory assays (including tissue culture, immunoassays, ELISAs, immunofluorescence, column chromatography, western blotting, cell cytotoxicity assay, PCR, cloning, protein purification, etc.);
- Cleaning and maintenance of the laboratory,
- Ordering and stocking of supplies as needed.
The individual will be expected to take on new and/or additional duties as needed.
Rare weekend (1-2 weekends) work required.
What We're Looking For
- Years of related experience required: 0-2 year
- Bachelor’s Degree in biology or related field
- Driver’s license
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs with or without accommodation.