The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees (www.cyi.ac.cy). The research agenda of the CyI is pursued at its four Research Centers: the Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Center (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmospheric Research Center (CARE-C). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic of the Institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) invites applications for new faculty members at the level of Assistant, Associate or Full Professor with Specialization in Computation-based Science and Technology. Priority in consideration for hiring will be given to the highest rank where qualified applicants are indentified. Applicants should specify for which ranks they want to be considered.
The selected applicant is intended to enhance the competencies of the Institute in the area of data intensive applications, data science and/or artificial intelligence. Preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated machine learning including deep learning expertise, with applications to scientific and engineering areas and with experience in the utilization of advanced computing technologies. Other areas of competencies will be considered in addition in case of demonstrated excellence. S/he will implement and advance the research agenda of the Institute and CaSToRC in close collaboration with faculty, research staff and the leadership of CyI. As a faculty member, an aptitude and/or experience in mentoring and teaching doctoral and Master’s students is necessary as the successful candidate will be expected to actively contribute to the Institute’s graduate program. The candidate will work in Cyprus and will be offered a tenure or tenure-track position and an attractive salary and benefits package depending on the level of experience.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
The new faculty member will contribute in shaping the Institute’s research agenda by:
- Developing and implementing strategies appropriate to the Institute’s mission .
- Mentoring, educating and providing research guidance to graduate students;
- Developing and expanding the Institute’s research, innovation and educational activities;
- Developing a world-class research program in the area of data-intensive applications by utilizing modern data science, machine learning techniques and advanced computing methodologies.
- Assisting in building a transdisciplinary research environment and collaborations with other research areas where the aforementioned fields are applicable;
- Securing financial and other resources from national and international sources;
- Initiating and sustaining high-level collaborative projects with leading research institutions that conduct research in areas related to his/her respective fields;
- Contributing to the development and implementation of facilities appropriate to the research of the Cyprus Institute;
- Communicating the results and implications of research conducted in CaSToRC and the Institute at all levels, including academic, popular, and policy-related.
- Doctoral Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics and Life Science or any other relevant field.
- Proven research record of international standing.
- Teaching and postgraduate training record appropriate for the rank they are applying
- Experience in mentoring and teaching graduate students depending on the rank they are applying for (a strict requirement for the Associate Professor and Professor rank)
- A minimum of three years of post-doctoral research experience or equivalent in relevant fields of research is required for the rank of Assistant Professor; for the ranks of Associate Professor and Professor, international norms typical for Research Universities apply with an minimum requirement of five and seven years respectively of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application at The Cyprus Institute JobBoard based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae including a letter of interest, list of publications, vision statement and a list of five references (including contact information) (all documentation should be in English and in PDF Format). For additional information, please contact the Head of Human Resouces, (email@example.com). Please note that applications which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Contact Person: Head of Human Resources
Reference Number: CYI_FP_22_04