Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto University has been ranked the 9th best young university in the world (Top 50 under 50, QS 2018) and one of the world’s top technology challenger universities (THE 2017), for its outside-the-box thinking on research collaboration, funding and innovation. Aalto has six schools with nearly 11 000 students and 4000 employees of whom close to 400 are professors. Our campus is located in the capital area of Finland. With 37% of our academic faculty coming from outside Finland, we are a highly international community with strong academic standing.
Aalto University School of Electrical Engineering invites applications for
TWO ASSISTANT OR ASSOCIATE PROFESSORS IN NETWORKING TECHNOLOGY (tenure track)
Positions are open in all areas related to networking technology and they are part of our tenure track system. We are mainly aim at filling positions at the Assistant or Associate Professor level. For exceptionally merited candidates, we could consider the appointment at tenured or Full Professor level.
We are seeking internationally leading experts to join us. A broad range of topics are considered suitable for these positions, including but not restricted to mobile and cloud technologies, internet technologies and networking, cyber and network security, techno-economy and policy aspects of networking technology.
As a tenure-track faculty member, you are expected to complement the expertise of the department by bringing new ideas and perspectives into our community, you are also expected to teach communications engineering and networking technology students, with the typical load of two courses per year.
We seek applicants with
- A doctoral degree in electrical engineering, communications engineering, computer science, business, or a closely related field
- A proven ability and passion to carry out high-quality research and publish in top venues of the discipline
- Potential to attract research funding and build up your own research group
- An interest to collaborate with industry and other relevant stakeholders
- A passion for international collaboration
- Motivation to teach at undergraduate and/or graduate level
- A tenure track position with promotion to tenured position based on merits
- A competitive benefits package including access to health care
- Substantial starting package (seed funding) and grant writing support to help you establish your own group
- Excellent collaboration possibilities within the university
- Excellent research infrastructure
- Great future in one of the happiest, cleanest, and safest countries in the world, with a comprehensive social security system and free education all the way to the university level
Aalto tenure track
Positions belong to our tenure track system. The salary is based on Aalto University salary system, but you can also provide your own salary requests. Advancement on Aalto tenure track and promotion to a tenured position is based on an evaluation of your achievements and merits against the Aalto tenure track criteria. Please see the details about the evaluation criteria and career path at the university webpage.
The Department of Communications and Networking
(Comnet) combines the research traditions from electrical and communications engineering with computer science, economics, and behavioral sciences. The research focus areas of the department are
- Ambient intelligence and wearable systems
- Communications ecosystem including techno-economics
- Human centric systems including human computer interaction
- Information and communications theory
- Mobile communication and networking
- Cloud and network services
- Wireless communications
The department has a substantial research and education infrastructure, and strategic plan and commitment to ensure its further development. The department and its faculty participate in B.Sc., M.Sc. as Doctoral Level education. New professors will have flexible access to share all these excellent laboratory facilities. Positions will be located at Aalto University, Otaniemi Campus, Helsinki Metropolitan area.
Ready to apply
Please submit your application latest on 31.10.2022 through recruiting system by using the "Apply" link. Aalto University’s employees and visitors please note you should apply for the position via our internal system Workday -> Career -> find jobs, by using your existing Workday user account.
Please include the following pdf documents in English
1. Cover letter
2. Curriculum vitae (with contact information, the ResearcherID number, list of referees with contact information. If you like you can also mark here your possible longer periods/leaves when not active in academic work/research)
3. List of publications and 3 most significant publications
4. Research statement describing past research and plans for the future research
5. Teaching portfolio
General instructions for applicants including language requirements and guidelines for compiling the teaching portfolio, research portfolio and CV are at interested in joining our tenure track.
For short-listed candidates, Aalto University keeps the right to ask a new teaching portfolio for the evaluation. The departmental committee is planning to have shortlist decision by November 2022, organize site-visits during January 2023 and have the final recruitment decision by March 2023.
If you wish to hear more about the position or us, please contact Professor Riku Jäntti, firstname.lastname@example.org
. In case you have questions related to the recruitment process, please contact HR Partner Alina Järvinen, email@example.com
. Aalto University reserves the right for justified reasons to leave the position open or to extend the application period.
About Aalto University, Helsinki and Finnish society
The School of Electrical Engineering promotes high-quality science, technology and innovations for the benefit of the Finnish society and all of humankind. In our research environment, the natural sciences, engineering and information technology intertwine to form smart systems and innovations that save energy and promote well-being. With our research, we seek to respond to many challenges posed by sustainable development and the results are applied, for example, in mobile devices, electrical networks, health care and in satellites. School’s special strength is linking the research with the Finnish and international business sector. We have around 2000 students in total, and around 250 master’s and 50 doctoral degrees annually. Our personnel consist of 700 people with over 70 professors. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our community’s diversity and inclusiveness. This is why we warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our community.
At Aalto, high-quality research, art, education and entrepreneurship are promoted hand in hand. Disciplinary excellence is combined with multidisciplinary activities, engaging both students and the local innovation ecosystem. Our main campus is quickly transforming into an open collaboration hub that encourages encounters between students, researchers, industry, startups and other partners. Aalto University was founded in 2010 as three leading Finnish universities, Helsinki University of Technology, the Helsinki School of Economics and the University of Art and Design Helsinki, were merged to strengthen Finland’s innovative capability.
The greater Helsinki region is a world-class information technology complex, attracting leading scientists and researchers in various fields of electrical engineering. As a living and working environment, Finland consistently ranks high in quality of life, and Helsinki, the capital of Finland, is regularly ranked as one of the most livable cities in the world. As a living and working environment, Finland consistently ranks high in quality-of-life. For more information about living in Finland: International staff - careers at Aalto.
To visit our campus:
More about Aalto University: