Faculty - Assistant Professor - Mathematics and Data Science
: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
The Department of Mathematics at Utah Valley University invites qualified individuals to apply for a tenure-track position as an assistant professor of mathematics with a specialization in data science starting August 2022. The main campus of UVU is located in Orem, Utah at the foot of the beautiful Wasatch Mountains about 30 miles south of Salt Lake City. UVU is a rapidly growing institution which primarily emphasizes undergraduate education. The Department of Mathematics offers bachelors degrees in mathematics, mathematics education, and statistics, a graduate certificate, and a master's degree in mathematics education. UVU welcomes candidates whose experience in teaching, scholarship, and/or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to achieving excellence through a diverse and inclusive faculty. Candidates must have a doctoral degree in mathematics or statistics or a related field by July 1, 2022. Candidates must also have experience with data science.
The Assistant Professor - Mathematics and Data Science in the Department of Mathematics of the College of Science will
- teach using a variety of modalities and activities that provide opportunities for students to develop to their fullest potential and achieve their learning objectives;
- participate collaboratively and professionally with other faculty and staff to promote the general well-being of the department, college, and university, and collective interest of its staff and student body;
- support and seek to fulfill the guiding concepts of the university which are embodied in UVU's mission.
Duties include teaching and developing upper- and lower-division mathematics courses and supporting our department's data science initiatives as well as those of other departments at UVU. Applicants should have an engaging and effective teaching style. The teaching load is 12 credit hours per semester. The applicant should also pursue scholarly activities and be willing to serve on committees and in various outreach activities of the Department of Mathematics, the College of Science, and the university.
The application materials should include a cover letter, current CV, a statement of teaching, a statement of scholarship, and graduate transcripts. Applications for the position must be submitted via the UVU website (www.uvu.jobs). Review of applications will begin December 15, 2021. UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
* Graduation from an accredited institution with a terminal (PhD equivalent) degree in data science, mathematics, statistics, or a related academic field of study plus one year of teaching experience (teaching experience as a graduate student qualifies). Degree must be completed by July 1, 2022.
* Experience assessing student learning capabilities and learning styles and preparing materials for assigned courses.
*Experience with mathematical methods in data science and an interest in pursuing future scholarly and pedagogical work in these areas, including supervising student projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Ability to effectively teach through implementation of appropriate pedagogy, clear presentation and preparation, and maintaining a student-centered approach to education.
* Ability to mentor undergraduate students.
* Ability to design undergraduate courses in data science.
* Ability to remain familiar with and contribute to advancing current scholarship in data science, mathematics, or statistics, and communicate scholarly work through presentations and publications.
* Ability to contribute on a variety of committees and assignments that serve the needs of the department, college, and university.
* Ability to interact personally with students and collaboratively with university faculty members in a congenial and productive manner in both course and professional development related activities.
* Ability to use online learning and course management tools.
* Ability to evaluate curriculum and student performance.
* Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English.
Significant academic research or industry experience in data science is preferred.
General classroom environment.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date. Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/25682
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.