Equal Opportunity Employer –minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Data Scientist I / Data Scientist II / Data Scientist III - Data Intensive Studies Center (DISC) - 20001055
This listing is for 4 open positions. The positions will be Data Scientist I / Data Scientist II / Data Scientist III depending on the experience of the candidate.
The Data Intensive Studies Center (DISC) is a new university-wide, interdisciplinary center dedicated to data-intensive research and pedagogy, studying the science of data and its use in application domains that span the breadth of the university. The center will build on existing strengths at Tufts and provide a structure to help realize the promise of the Tufts T10 Strategic Plan. DISC will also create a collaborative, application-driven environment that simultaneously fosters the development of new methods for extracting meaning from data and the application of those methods to a host of domain areas relevant to Tufts. Lastly, the center will provide a university-wide forum for identifying strategic opportunities best addressed by combining expertise in the science of data and application domains.
Designs, organizes, and carries out scientific research studies. Serves as the technical scientific consultant on a specific phase of a more complex scientific study. Makes independent decisions as it relates to a specific scientific field and solves problems using standard principles, procedures, and techniques for their scientific area of expertise. Develops projects and plans to implement new scientific methods. Contributes original research published in peer-reviewed journals. Participates in securing grant funding from the government or other peer-reviewed sources independently. Participates in teaching, research, and mentoring including providing research guidance to graduate students, and less experienced scholars. Participates in developing new educational materials.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
- A PhD with 5 years of experience in broad areas of Applied Mathematics, Computer Science and Statistics or MS with 10 years experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing and analyzing large data sets, programming competencies as related to these tasks.
- Made significant contributions to related scientific research and scholarship though contributions published in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated potential as a research scientist and has familiarity of external funding from government and/or other peer-reviewed sources.
- Experience in mentoring and training undergraduate and graduate students.
May need to work as needed and travel to and from Tufts three campuses (Boston, Grafton, and Medford).
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Medford/Somerville
Organization: Data Intensive Study Center
Employee Status: Regular
Job Posting: Jan 17, 2020, 4:18:54 PM