Search for University Jobs in Sciences
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
Reporting to the Manager of Data Science Services, the Bioinformatician works closely with the Bioinformatics Engineer and with other members of TTS Research Technology to support bioinformatics services for Tufts University community. Key responsibilities include providing consulting services and technical support to faculty, post-docs, and students from a wide range of academic backgrounds; developing `Omics workflows and curating reference data for the support of bioinformatics research on the Tufts High Performance Compute Cluster (HPC) and Tufts Galaxy Server; developing training in analysis and visualization methods for `Omics data in the form of workshops and modules in semester courses; and organizing university-wide groups and events for the bioinformatics community. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic about both research and teaching and enjoys working in a collaborative environment.
This position has a work designation of hybrid.
What You'll Do
Consultations and Technical Support
- Provide short and long-term consultation on bioinformatics projects, including workflow design and implementation.
- Provide technical support to users on the HPC, including troubleshooting and performance optimization.
Education and Outreach
- Develop web-based training in Bioinformatics and Data Science methods to be delivered both as workshops and as modules in semester courses.
- Keep the Bioinformatics section of the Research Technology website up to date with trainings and service descriptions.
- Examine, evaluate emerging trends at the confluence of bioinformatics and Information Technology (IT).
- Develop, support and maintain Bioinformatics tools and reference data used by the Tufts research community in the following environments:
- High Performance Compute (HPC) cluster (command line and web gateways)
- Tufts Galaxy Server for Bioinformatics
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI)
- Cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud
- Desktop software management
- Evaluate commercial bioinformatics software and manage updates and renewals for existing site licenses (e.g. Geneious, Ingenuity Pathway Analysis)
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and experience typically acquired through a BA/BS in Computer Science or a related quantitative science (Biology, Engineering, Math, Physics) and 3 years of work experience, or a MA/MS and 2 years of work experience in Bioinformatics in industry or research.
- Significant hands-on experience with:
- Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data analysis, pipelines, and visualization techniques
- High-Performance Computing (HPC), analytics and visualization platforms, including extensive experience with UNIX/Linux based systems.
- One or more programming languages: Python, R, Java, C, Perl
- Strong passion and willingness to put significant effort towards the understanding and management of bioinformatics tools, software, and services within a research and IT environment.
- Experience with teaching and outreach.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- MA/MS/PhD in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology or a related quantitative science
- 2+ years of work experience in Bioinformatics industry or research
- Consulting experience for interdisciplinary projects
- Knowledge of HPC environments and concepts regarding schedulers (slurm), batch vs interactive jobs, scripting languages (bash), parallel computing
- Experience with analyzing multi-omics data (e.g. genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, microbiome)
- Familiarity with coding best practices including version control, dev, test vs production environment
- Experience with cloud computing and development (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with one or more database language: SQL, MongoDB
- Experience developing instructional materials and teaching workshops and/or semester courses.
Minimum $84,400.00, Midpoint $105,550.00, Maximum $126,700.00
Salary is based on related experience, expertise, and internal equity; generally, new hires can expect pay between the minimum and midpoint of the range.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |