Primary Purpose of Position
This position will support, design, develop and execute research activities for primary and or secondary research projects within the College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences. The successful candidate will also participate in formulating research methods for both sample preparation and analysis and suggest options for improving quality and recommending solutions. The position reports directly to the Analytical Services Laboratory Director.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University’s College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences (CAES) has a rich history of innovation and application of cutting-edge technology. From our pioneering Laboratory Animal Science and Landscape Architecture programs to our award-winning Cooperative Extension and Agricultural Research programs, our faculty and staff serve today’s needs while keeping an eye on the future.
With programs and expertise in such areas as biotechnology, agricultural and biosystems engineering, natural resources management, waste management, and food microbiology, the A&T College of Agriculture grows concurrently with the demand for qualified graduates. Our four academic departments are the Department of Agribusiness, Applied Economics and Agriscience Education; the Department of Animal Sciences; the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences; and the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Design. Within these departments, students will find a myriad of opportunities for classroom learning, research and field work.
Through our Agricultural Research Program and our Cooperative Extension Program, we are able to research issues of importance to North Carolina and also provide research-based outreach training to citizens across the state and around the world.
- Must have an earned Master’s degree in Chemistry (preferred) or in a discipline related to area of assignment.
- Strong Analytical skills using GC (with FID, ECD and mass spectrometer detectors), HPLC ( with PDA, Fluorescent, Refractive Index, Mass Spectrometer detectors), UPLC, ICP, CHN along with proper sample preparation experience for organic and inorganic matrices.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Critical Thinking-Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weakness of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches and problems.
- Judgement and Decision Making- Considering the relative costs and benefits of proportional actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Ability to expand scope of literature search to support and/or propose alternative experimental methods, procedures and/or techniques.
- Ability to modify and adjust resources needed to conduct experiments.
- Ability to gather information to prepare budget and propose estimates for acquisition of supplies and equipment.
- Ability to plan and design specific quality control measures and procedures as part of research protocol.
- Ability to define standards for the collection of data; ability to set standards for accuracy, validity and integrity; ability to lead others in analysis.
- Ability to adapt experimental design based upon interpretation of data and or literature review, in collaboration with others.
- Ability to co-author/ author manuscripts and publications; ability to serve as primary presenter within department and/ or at professional conferences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service orientation
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education
PhD or a Master’s degree with at least 5 years of laboratory chemistry and / or instrumentation experiences.
Ability to effectively work with diverse public; work independently; adapt quickly to meet work assignments/ deadlines; experience/ability to utilize common chemistry laboratory instrumentation and software; ability to effectively assist in the management of research-specific projects.
Competent in using the following instruments and software
1. Waters Acquity UPLC with Empower 3
2. Perkin Elmer CHN 2400
3. Agilient 7890 GC with Chemstation
5. GC-MS, LC-MS
This position requires the skill and experience to run and conduct minor maintenance on these instruments.