Postdoctoral Associate – New York State Water Resources Institute – Biological and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University
This position is an annual appointment with review each year, and reappointment is contingent upon performance and the availability of funding. The annual cycle for the funds that support this position starts on January 1 of each year through December 31. Additional funds are expected but not guaranteed.
Starting Date: ASAP.
Location: Ithaca, NY
The New York State Water Resources Institute (WRI) in the Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University is inviting applications for a position in the field of water resource science, management, and policy. We are looking for an individual with a PhD in environmental engineering, hydrology, land use planning, geography or related fields, and an interest in outreach and applied research focused on watershed and estuary management in NY’s Hudson Valley. The applicant will be expected to develop and maintain a relationship with WRI staff working off-campus in New Paltz, NY for the Hudson River Estuary Program (HREP), and perform research and outreach that furthers goals outlined in the HREP Action Agenda. Possible research/outreach topics include, but are not limited to:
- Assessing grey and green water infrastructure effectiveness
- The impact of dam removals on hydrology and ecosystems
- Building community flood resilience
- Educational efforts aimed at increasing water resource literacy
- Harmful algal blooms
- Managing drought
- Source, fate, and transport of micropollutants and emerging contaminants
- Riparian buffer restoration and assessment
- Watershed planning and modelling
- Source water protection
The ideal candidate will have interest, and experience, in working with state extension or similar orgnizations, and will be able to facilitate the transfer of HREP programming to other state-wide and regional stakeholders. This position reports to the WRI Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiate, lead and coordinate multidisciplinary research projects in cooperation with Hudson River Estuary Program staff and Cornell researchers (50%)
- Engage in outreach activities with Hudson Valley and other NYS stakeholders (25%)
- Assist in WRI’s general mission of providing resources to improve water management and policy by providing timely research and outreach to NYS stakeholders through publication of relevant peer-reviewed literature, white papers, web content, and presentations at scientific conferences and other appropriate venues of water resource management (10%)
- Develop additional projects building on the strengths, interests, and expertise of the candidate (7%)
- Assist in development of proposals to secure external funding for research projects (5%)
- Regular travel to Hudson Valley (~10 a year). Valid driver’s license required (3%)
The successful candidate will have:
- PhD in environmental engineering, hydrology, land use planning, geography or related field
- A proven list of deliverables (peer-reviewed publications, derived products)
- Willingness and ability to assume a leadership role and conduct research as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Additional preferred qualifications include:
- Demonstrated outreach/communication skills and an ability to develop strong working relationships with stakeholders
How to Apply
To apply, send a statement of interest, a CV and the names and contact information of at least two references and a statement of contribution to diversity, equity, and inclusion via Academic Jobs Online #13209. Applications will be considered until the position is filled. This position is initially planned for 1 year with renewal contingent on funding.