Teaching Lab Manager - Chemistry
: Staff - Full-Time
Utah Valley University is searching for a Teaching Lab Manager in the Chemistry Department. This position involves teaching undergraduate level chemistry laboratories. Other responsibilities follow: Orders, procures, and prepares supplies, materials, and solutions for laboratory work. Ensures instruments and equipment are maintained and in working order. Identifies, selects, and makes hiring recommendation for adjunct laboratory instructors and student assistants. Trains and supervises laboratory personnel. Works closely with the faculty lab coordinator and other lab managers to improve or create new experiments to increase students' understanding of chemistry through laboratory experiences.
A Bachelors degree in Chemistry or closely related field, plus two years related experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of effective teaching strategies and practices in chemistry laboratory settings.
- Ability to communicate information in a manner easily understood by students.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain, troubleshoot, and repair instruments and equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge in correct and appropriate chemistry laboratory techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the correct storage and handling of chemicals and other laboratory safety practices.
- Skills in preparing solutions of known concentrations and standardizing solution concentrations.
- Skills in managing and preparing laboratory exercise by gathering or making all required solution and ensuring that instruments and equipment are available and in working order.
- Skills in managing laboratory instructors and hourly student assistants.
- Skills in maintaining a chemical and equipment inventory.
- Must be able to collaborate and work with faculty, staff, and students in a team environment.
Masters degree in Chemistry or closely related field.
Physical ability to perform manual work including standing, walking, lifting, bending, and related activities.
Be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
Exposure to gases/chemicals or hazardous materials. Exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperature, dirt, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and or loud noises. May work in confined area.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
$43,811 - $58,414
STA123718 Chemistry Staff 12/03/2018
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/9894
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.