The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Research with Neutrons and Muons (NUM) Division we are looking for a
On quantum materials with focus on thin films and devices
To explore the fundamental physics of quantum materials including topological materials or systems with a quantum critical point, with focus on thin films and devices. The main experimental tasks will involve:
- Growth of thin films and patterning using facilities at the Laboratory for Micro and Nanotechnology
- Electrical/thermal transport measurements using cryostats including a dilution fridge
- X-Ray scattering and angle resolved photoelectron spectroscopy experiments at international large-scale facilities including Paul Scherrer Institute
- Commission a dilution fridge
- Commission a sputterer
- PhD in condensed matter physics or other area clearly related to the main tasks
- Expertise in electrical measurements at low temperature and high magnetic fields including independent operation of a dilution fridge
- Previous experience in film growth and microfabrication is helpful
- Previous experience in X-Ray scattering and angle resolved photoemission is helpful
- Ability to keep good records of work, analyze, interpret data and publish
- Ability to write software for data acquisition and analysis
- Ability to collaborate with other scientists
- Ability to work long hours and during weekends when conducting experiments at large scale facilities
- Good communication skills in English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to two years.
For further information please contact Dr Yona Soh, phone +41 56 310 32 81 or Prof. Dr Christian Rüegg, phone +41 56 310 47 78.
Please submit your application online by 31 May 2019 (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 3000-01) under https://www.psi.ch/en/pa/job-opportunities/27995-postdoctoral-fellow.
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Jeanine Gehrig, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland