The Biology Department wishes to appoint a terrestrial zoologist to strengthen the environmental biology stream within the Department. The successful candidate must have a Ph.D. in Zoology or a related field (e.g. ecology, physiology, taxonomy, ecological systems), substantial teaching experience (at least two years), and a demonstrated record of achievement in research.
We are searching for an individual with the ability to lead hypothesis-driven, field-based research to answer important ecological questions. Applicants may work with any animal group including mammals, birds, reptiles, or invertebrates but should be able to develop a strong field-based research program based on Oman’s natural environment. Candidates who can demonstrate the ability to apply modern ecological tools including GIS, modeling, or environmental DNA in their research will be prioritized.
Appointment may be at the Assistant or Associate-level dependent on experience. The University offers a competitive package with a tax-free salary plus a range of other benefits. Note that applicants must download and complete the online application form and respond to all the selection criteria. Candidates that do not specifically respond to the selection criteria will not be considered.
Candidates must respond to each criteria
- Demonstrated ability to teach a range of undergraduate courses including general biology and more advanced courses in the field of expertise.
- Have publications in international journals commensurate with the number of years experience
- Experience in active learning and the use of technology to enhance the students learning ability
- Demonstrated research experience with one or more groups of terrestrial vertebrates
- Ability to teach quantitative biology to undergraduate and post-graduate students
- Experience in developing new courses and programs
- Ability to teach Masters-level environmental courses
- Experience in supervising undergraduate and postgraduate research students
- Experience in using modern tools such as GIS, environmental DNA, satellite tracking, or ecological modeling in environmental research.
Applicants must complete the following online application form:
Apart from an attractive tax-free salary, SQU offers:
- Free furnished accommodation
- Free medical care in government hospitals in Oman
- Excellent recreational facilities on campus
- End-of-service gratuity
- Sixty days annual leave with return air tickets for the staff, eligible spouse, and 2 children
- Rolling three-year contracts on mutual agreement