Qatar University Profile
Qatar University (QS ranking#332) is the premier national institution of higher education in the State of Qatar, with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University – faculty, staff, and students – are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics, Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, Statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. The College also houses three newly established research centers namely the Center for Social Science and Humanities, the Center for Sustainable Development, and the Gulf Studies Center
As members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is a major source of research funding, with individual project funding exceeding 1 million/project (5 million for exceptional projects), along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research-active faculty members winning multiple grants.
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
The Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences at Qatar University offers two undergraduate programs: B.Sc. in Biological science and B.Sc. in Environmental Science in addition to two Graduate programs. The graduate programs offered by the department are the Master of Science in Environmental Science and the Doctor of Philosophy in Biological and Environmental Sciences.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Teach graduate and undergraduate courses in areas such as of animal ecology, desert biology, and animal biodiversity.
2. Supervise UG (Senior projects) and graduate thesis research (M.Sc. and PhD) in the area of expertise
3. Write research proposals and initiate high quality research in the area of expertise
4. Contribute to various committees at the Dept, College, and University levels
5. Contribute to the research profile of College through research publications
6. Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
1. Doctorate (PhD) degree in the area of Animal Ecology and Biology with preferred specialty in vertebrates ecology or relevant fields from a recognized university.
2. A record of distinguished scholarship (peer reviewed publication record), grant-funded research, and graduate student mentorship in the last 5 years.
3. A minimum teaching experience of 5 years at university level, graduate teaching experience is preferred
4. Familiar with Educational technologies used in higher education sector (e.g. BlackBoard)
5. Willingness to work with teams
6. Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds
7. Excellent written and oral communication skills
1. Current Curriculum Vitae
2. Statement of Teaching Experience and Philosophy
3. Statement of Research interests
4. Contact details of three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Academic transcript of the Highest Qualification
6. Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application
1. A three-year renewable contract
2. Salary is commensurate with experience
3. Tax-free salary
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies
9. End-of-contract indemnity