Counterterrorism and Forensic Science Research Unit Opportunity
Apply Today! https://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/FBI-CFSRU-2022
*Applications accepted on a rolling basis
The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Counterterrorism and Forensic Science Research Unit’s (CFSRU) provides technical leadership for the FBI as well as for other law enforcement and intelligence agencies through applied research and development.
What will I be doing? As a participant with the Counterterrorism and Forensic Science Research Unit’s (CFSRU) Visiting Scientist Program (VSP), you will have an opportunity to enhance your professional development and increase your research capabilities and contributions by participating in forensic research initiatives utilizing state-of-the-art equipment under the mentorship of CFSRU scientists. The VSP will expose you to a research environment in a high security government facility and provides an opportunity to perform research in areas of interest unique to law enforcement and national security.
You may be involved in research including:
• Human identification
• Detection of Bio-threat agents
• Detection of explosives and drugs
• Characterization and comparison of forensic materials
• Elemental analysis of trace evidence
• Mass spectrometry applications to chemical and biological analyses, including IRMS
• Development of instrumental methods
• Evaluation of field portable instrumentation
• Advancement of forensic chemistry, specifically in toxicology, and trace volatiles
• Advancement of techniques for Imaging and Visualization
Under the guidance of a mentor, you may be involved in some or all of the following:
• Conducting searches of scientific literature
• Designing experimental plans
• Conducting field tests
• Performing analytical laboratory analyses
• Analyzing instrumental data/ documenting results
• Preparing and presenting research findings to diverse audiences, both orally and in writing
Why should I apply? Under the guidance of a mentor you will perform sophisticated laboratory techniques using emerging technologies, judge the completeness and accuracy of research results, perform statistical analyses on data, and prepare written manuscripts for FBI review and publication in peer-reviewed journals.
Release of any information acquired during participation in this program is at the sole discretion of the FBI.
Where will I be located? Quantico, Virginia
Apply Today! https://www.zintellect.com/Opportunity/Details/FBI-CFSRU-2021
As a participant you will receive a stipend as support for your living and other expenses during this appointment. Stipend rates are determined by the CFSRU officials and are based on your academic and professional background. Relocation expenses, not to exceed $1,000, incurred in relocating from your current address to Quantico, Virginia (if more than 50 miles from the address shown on the application), may be reimbursed. You will receive a travel allowance of $5,000 per appointment year to cover travel-related expenses to scientific and professional development activities. The initial appointment can be for the summer or for one year, but may be renewed upon recommendation of FBI contingent on the availability of funds. The appointment can be made on a full-time or part-time basis.
You must meet the following criteria to participate in the program:
• Be a U.S. Citizen.
• Have completed requirements for a Bachelor’s, Master, or PhD or complete all the requirements for the degree by the anticipated start date of the appointment.
• Undergo an extensive FBI background investigation and meet suitability criteria.
Program Website: https://orise.orau.gov/fbi/
Questions? Email FBIrpp@orau.org. Please list the reference code for this opportunity in the subject line of your email.