The appointee will play a key role in implementing the marine sustainable development component of the USP PEUMP Project based in Suva, Fiji. This will involve taking responsibility for conducting research of relevance to the Pacific region on marine resource management, development challenges and opportunities whilst particularly taking into account gender, human rights and poverty alleviation considerations. The incumbent will be a key player in working with the PEUMP Project team to design and deliver training opportunities for Pacific marine resource management stakeholders. She/he will also be responsible for monitoring the effectiveness of marine sustainable development courses including delivery mechanisms. The Research Fellow will also play a key role in the outreach activities of the PEUMP project and will work closely with the Lecturer and Research Assistant in Marine Sustainable Development, other PEUMP staff and relevant international institutions.
The Person We Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- A PhD in marine science, sustainable development or other relevant field from a recognised institution;
- Extensive verifiable work experience in a field of relevance to marine science and/or sustainable development;
- Extensive knowledge of marine resource management and development issues;
- Some relevant teaching or supervisory experience in the Pacific Islands region or other developing countries and a strong research and publications record.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- Work experience in PACPs;
- Previous experience/familiarity with international and/or regional organisations;
- Demonstrated ability to work in the Pacific Islands in a multicultural environment;
- Demonstrate sound analytical skills and be willing to work as a member of a dynamic team
- Practical experience of EU-funded projects or similar regional/multi-country programmes in SIDS.
The position is available for a fixed term of 3 years.
Salary Range: Research Fellow FJ $73,689 to FJ $96,958 per annum
In addition to the above benefits, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
Enquiries: Dr. Bibhya Sharma, Acting Dean of the Faculty of Science, Technology & Environment; tel.: (679) 32 32069; email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 4 November 2018
How to Apply
Candidates may use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at https://www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Manual and emailed applications are no longer accepted. Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.