The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research institute for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore, about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether, PSI employs 2100 people.
For the Research with Neutrons and Muons Division and the Spectroscopy of Novel Materials Group at the Photon Science Division we are looking for a
In Resonant Inelastic X-Ray Scattering in Topological Ferromagnets
- Your research activity will focus on the magnetic properties in topological magnets with Resonant Inelastic X-Ray Scattering RIXS. RIXS as a photon-in/photon-out spectroscopic method gives direct access to low energy excitations of a solid
- In your research projects you will use the state-of-the-art RIXS spectrometer at the Advanced Resonant Spectroscopies ADRESS beamline at the Swiss Light Source SLS as well as other instruments at SLS and other facilities for advanced spectroscopic investigations
- In addition, you will be responsible for the development, testing, and characterization of sample holders with permanent magnets optimized for RIXS experiments in collaboration with the Insertion Device group
- You will also assist in the development, support, and maintenance of specialized measurement equipment at the beamline
- You will support and be involved in the experiment of external users.
- You have a PhD degree in physics and solid knowledge of condensed matter physics, quantum mechanics, and magnetism
- You are an expert of X-Ray spectroscopy, optical absorption spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, or inelastic neutron scattering
- You have experience in research on correlated materials or magnetism and have demonstrated your ability to conduct high quality research by having an excellent publication record
- You are interested in operating and upgrading state-of-the-art experimental equipment and enjoy working with external users as well as within your team
- You have good software skills to analyze data and have excellent communication skills in English
- You are ready to shift up to 20% of working hours when necessary and work long hours during X-ray experiments at large scale facilities including working at odd hours and weekends
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to 2 years. Applications will be reviewed starting from 11 January 2021, and will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
For further information, please contact Dr Thorsten Schmitt, phone +41 56 310 37 62.
Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 3000-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management Sevil Minniti, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland, www.psi.ch