Postdoctoral Scholar - Human-Centered Data Management - School of Information
Prof. Parameswaran at the University of California, Berkeley, is seeking a Postdoctoral Employee. The employee will develop research programs in the field of human-centered data management and will be encouraged to collaborate with other faculty and students in the Data Systems and Foundations group, the Human-Computer Interaction group, and the School of Information.
The research spans the development of usable tools and techniques to manage and make sense of large datasets over the course of the data science lifecycle. The position is flexible in terms of the specific areas of focus. Candidates with a rich experience in data management research are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a twelve month, 100% time appointment with the possibility of extension being subject to performance and budgetary approval. Anticipated start: between September 2020 to January 2021.
The successful candidate's main duties and responsibilities will consist of
- Formulate research questions in the human-centered data management space
- Read relevant research papers in data management, data science, and/or human-computer interaction
- Develop usable tools and techniques to support data management at scale
- Writing and communicating findings in the form of research papers and presentations
Additional Qualifications (By Start Date):
- PhD (or equivalent international degree), or enrolled in a PhD (or equivalent international degree) granting program at the time of application.
- PhD (or equivalent international degree)
- No more than four years of post Ph.D. research experience
- PhD or equivalent degree in Computer Science or Data/Information Science
- At least 4 years of experience in research in databases, data management, visualization, and/or human-computer interaction
- Prior publications in SIGMOD/VLDB/ICDE, or equivalent, or VIS/CHI/UIST, or equivalent
- System and algorithm development skills, including programming skills
- Broad contextual knowledge of data management and an interest in human-centered aspects
- Superior oral and written communication skills in English
- Interpersonal skills, positive attitude and teamwork
The full-time annual salary with full postdoctoral benefits will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position is in a represented bargaining unit.
To apply go to https://aprecruit.berkeley.edu/JPF02644
. Please direct all questions for this position to Prof. Aditya Parameswaran, firstname.lastname@example.org
, with the subject line ISCHOOL Postdoctoral Scholar - Prof. Parameswaran.
This position will remain open until filled.
The total duration of an individual's postdoctoral service may not exceed five years, including postdoctoral service at other institutions.
Letters of reference will only be solicited for finalists. We will seek your permission before contacting your references.
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California Policy and California State law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality: (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html
) prior to submitting their letters.
We are interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their research.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct