Nazarbayev University’s Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, is currently seeking a qualified Mathematics-Physics Head of Discipline (HOD) to begin before or no later than January 2020.
The Center for Preparatory Studies has two academic programs: a foundation year program (NUFYP) and a pre-masters preparatory program. NUFYP emphasizes academic English, mathematics, and study skills to prepare students for study in Nazarbayev University’s undergraduate schools. The minimum English entry level is a comprehensive IELTS of 6.0, and all CPS classes are taught in English. CPS also offers a one-year, pre-master’s curriculum that enhances students’ English skills and prepares them for study and research in NU master’s degree programs.
The Math-Physics HOD (within NUFYP) supervises two Senior Teaching Fellows (one for mathematics and one for physics) and a team of ~10 mathematics and ~3 physics teachers and has teaching duties of from two to eight hours per week. The HOD has overall responsibility for the planning, delivery, evaluation, and assessments of the mathematics and physics curricula. The HOD is a member of CPS’s management team and is involved in the decision-making process and the overall academic quality and operations of CPS.
A successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the qualifications, academic and leadership experience, and display the character required to effectively lead an experienced team of math and physics teachers, contribute to a multi-disciplinary foundation curriculum, and work in an intensive, high-caliber university preparatory program. In short, the HOD must be competent at leading experienced teachers and managing an academic program. Administrative, problem-solving, and negotiation skills are critical as primary duties will include:
- leading qualified teachers in both mathematics and physics
- managing and directing two senior teaching fellows
- ensuring that the learning outcomes of the courses and NUFYP are achieved
- supervising continuous improvement of the curricula, teaching materials, and assessments
- scheduling teachers and managing teaching workloads
- conducting teaching observations and giving feedback
- identifying pedagogical needs and leading professional development sessions
- sharing responsibilities for security and administration of the national NUFYP entrance exams
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- MSc in mathematics or physics (PhD desired)
- A successful teaching career along with leadership experience managing an academic team (managing international teachers highly preferred)
- Evidence of a strong work ethic, professional behavior, exemplary character, and a cooperative attitude
- Proof of strong administrative and organizational abilities with demonstrated sound decision-making skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to handle ambiguity while guiding an academic unit
- Exceptional communications skills and the ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Compelling desire to contribute to Kazakhstani youth and NU’s educational development
Nazarbayev University offers:
- Internationally competitive salary
- 56 days paid leave per year
- Rent-free housing based on family size
- Relocation allowance
- Air tickets twice a year to home country
- No-cost medical insurance with global coverage
- Educational allowance for children
To Apply click the link and upload (in PDF if possible):
1. Curriculum Vitae: max 4 pages (normal font and spacing) and include Contact Information for at least two referees and the contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. Note: referees/employer will not be contacted unless you are shortlisted and give permission.
2. Cover Letter (max 1 page).
3. Application Information (in a third document) that includes (1) a brief paragraph (<150 words) that explains how your teaching experience has prepared you to supervise teachers; (2) a brief paragraph (<150 words) that explains how your leadership skills or experience would benefit CPS; and (3) a statement affirming that you can arrive in Kazakhstan NLT 20 January 2020 if offered the position.
Do not upload any other materials to your application at this time. Prior to shortlisting, candidates are asked to complete a questionnaire.
Review of applications will begin immediately; the position will remain open until filled; initial interviews will begin 10 October 2019.
Questions regarding CPS, the program or the position can be addressed to the Director through Smart Recruiter. Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Nazarbayev University is an EOE.