As a part of a diverse community of faculty and staff who represent many faith systems and worldviews, Marian University seeks a Visiting Assistant Professor of Biology. The Department of Biology at Marian University in Indianapolis, IN is seeking a broadly trained, nontenure-track, one-year visiting Assistant Professor with the ability to teach introductory biology courses within the biology curriculum. The successful candidate will promote Marian University’s Catholic mission and identity by fostering student learning through innovative pedagogy, inclusive practices, and contributions to a research across the curriculum model that integrates authentic, novel research projects into introductory courses for majors. The Department of Biology at Marian University is a collaborative and growing academic community committed to fostering student engagement, problem solving, and communication. Marian University believes that to grow stronger it is essential to recruit and retain a diverse faculty to build an inclusive community. Thus, we welcome and encourage applications across the intersections of diverse races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, gender identities, ages, socio-economic backgrounds, political perspectives, cultures, and national origins.
Marian University is a Catholic, comprehensive, regional institution of higher education dedicated to excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts traditions and offers a multitude of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. Marian University has been experiencing significant growth over the last decade and is expanding its academic offerings in many areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage the Catholic Franciscan mission and identity of Marian University by modeling the Franciscan Sponsorship Values, honoring the legacy of the founding congregation, promoting unity in diversity, and integrating the Catholic Franciscan intellectual traditions in courses, programs, and services.
- Teach 12 load hours per semester in various 100-200 level courses and labs including general biology for non-majors, genetics, cell biology, biostatistics, anatomy, physiology, microbiology and/or others. Upper-division courses may be assigned based on expertise and departmental need.
- Demonstrate academic excellence, the potential for distinctive contributions to the holistic development of students, and actively participate in the life of the campus, and help advance the mission and values of the university.
- Contribute to curriculum development and assessment within the department.
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- A Ph.D. in Biology or related field.
- Demonstrated potential for excellence and innovation in student-centered instruction.
- Demonstrated interest in science teaching pedagogy, curriculum and program development.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues of diverse backgrounds.
Founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, Marian University is the only Catholic university in Indianapolis and central Indiana. In 2019, Marian is serving more than 2,400 undergraduate and 1,160 graduate students earning degrees in the arts, business, education, engineering, math, medicine, nursing, ministry, and the natural and physical sciences. The university’s high-impact, experiential curriculum is designed to provide hands-on, collaborative learning opportunities for students from 45 states and 23 nations. Marian climbed in U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 Midwestern rankings to be named #6 Most Innovative Regional University, #15 Best Value University, and #30 Best Regional University. Marian University opened its College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013, making it the first new school of medicine in the state of Indiana in 110 years. Marian’s national champion varsity athletic programs include the 2012 and 2015 NAIA Football National Championship, the 2016 and 2017 NAIA Women’s Basketball Championship, the 2019 Women’s Volleyball Championship, and more than 40 USA Cycling national championships.
Apply online here: https://marian.peopleadmin.com/postings/955
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a cover letter, a current resume, contact information for three professional references, and responses to the supplemental mission questions.