Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) invites applications at all levels for non-tenure-stream faculty position beginning late-February 2019 (2019 Spring Semester) or on a mutually agreed date thereafter. We are seeking outstanding candidates in teaching undergraduate physics courses, as part of our engineering curriculum.
Terms of employment, including salary, relocation, and start-up packages are competitive and on par with those offered by U.S. universities in the United States. SCUPI faculty are employees of Sichuan University and have opportunities to collaborate with colleagues at Sichuan University and the University of Pittsburgh, and with other partnering universities worldwide.
As the realization of a new archetype involving institute-scale, collaborative entities developed by leading universities in the U.S. and China, the Sichuan University-Pittsburgh Institute (SCUPI) is an academic entity jointly established by Sichuan University (SCU) and the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt). The institute is one of five large-scale partnerships between an American university and a top-rate (985 level) Chinese university.
Having matriculated its first group of 100 freshmen in the fall of 2015, SCUPI now enrolls around 650 undergraduate students in three majors, including Industrial Engineering (IE), Materials Science and Engineerig (MSE), Mechanical Engineering (ME). The institute’s focus is on advanced and sustainable manufacturing. Our technical curriculum complies fully with the curriculum of Pitt’s Swanson School of Engineering and all courses are taught in English. To enrich our students’ international experience, we implement dual-degree mobility programs, such as 2+2, 3+1, 3+1+1, for our junior and senior students. In addition to Pitt, our students study at Carnegie Mellon, the University of Southern California, University of Wisconsin, University of Minnesota, The Ohio State University and the University of Colorado. SCUPI will celebrate its first graduating class (2015) in the spring of 2019. SCUPI will continue to grow to an enrollment of 1600 students and 80 faculty members, which will be achieved in approximately 5 years. Along with this strategic plan, a 30,000 square-foot building is being constructed. This new space and facilities will offer even more opportunities for innovations in education, research, and career development. More information about SCUPI can be found at http://scupi.scu.edu.en.
- Applicants must have an earned doctoral degree in physics or a related field, or earn the degree within the first semester of hire.
- Native-level English fluency is required.
- Candidates should have experience teaching at the university level and be interested in helping to build and grow a new institution.
- While the current search focuses primarily on non-tenure stream (NTS) faculty, outstanding tenure-track, focusing on both teaching and research, and temporary (visiting) appointments will also be considered.
▶ To Apply:
Faculty recruitment is rolling-basis. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Salary is commensurate with experience.
▶ Required Documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae;
- A statement of teaching interests and philosophy;
- A list of at least three references (with contact information).
Please submit required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. To ensure full consideration, candidates should apply before December 2018, but applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
▶ About Sichuan University and University of Pittsburgh
※ Sichuan University
- Founded in 1896, ranking top 10 in China, one of the national universities directly under MOE.
- One of the State 211/985 Project universities enjoying privileged construction in the Thirteenth Five-Year Plan period.
- One of the first batch of top 36 universities in "Double-First Rate" Construction name list in China.
※ University of Pittsburgh
- One of the oldest institutions of higher education in the United States and is among the nation’s most distinguished comprehensive universities.
- The main campus of the University of Pittsburgh (Pitt) is located in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with four regional campuses in Bradford, Greensburg, Johnstown, and Titusville.
- Among the top ten public research universities in the U.S., and ranks No. 42 in the 2015 U.S. News Best Global Universities Rankings. Moreover, Pitt is a member of the Association of American Universities (AAU), which comprises 62 preeminent doctorate-granting research institutions in North America.