Title: Postdoctoral research position in cancer immunology research
Position description: A full-time postdoctoral research position in the newly established research laboratory of Dr. Matthew Kudek, MD in the Medical College of Wisconsin and Versiti Blood Research Institute. The research in Kudek Lab focuses on T cell biology, specifically pertaining to mechanisms underlying T cell exhaustion and dysfunction. This includes a focus on tumor infiltrating lymphocytes and understanding the mechanisms leading to tumoral immune escape and developing new therapies to reprogram T cells towards an effector phenotype to promote tumor clearance. Highly motivated individuals with an MD and/or PhD in oncology, microbiology, immunology, or another closely related field are encouraged to apply. Interested parties can contact Matthew Kudek at email@example.com.
- Functioning somewhat independently, the postdoctoral researcher will design, organize, and conduct experiments using both established and newly developed (when necessary) protocols and procedures. Additional roles include:
o Collaborating with principal investigators to determine study design
o Participating in discovery projects
o Coordinating research study activities
o Leading and managing ongoing projects
o Organizing, analyzing, and interpreting scientific data
o Presenting and reviewing data and proposed future research topics and experiments at lab meetings
o Preparing and submitting scientific manuscripts
o Helping to prepare and submit grant applications
o Providing supervision and guidance to junior technicians, students, and researchers.
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience involving cell culture, molecular cloning, PCR, flow cytometry and mouse handling experience including inoculation, blood draw and tissue harvests and processing is recommended.
- Additional experience including retrovirus generation and transduction, electroporation, genomic and transcriptomic data acquisition and dataset analysis using R is also preferred. These techniques and skills can be learned or enhanced through on the job training, as needed.
- MD or PhD in oncology, microbiology, immunology, or another related field
- 2 years of relevant experience in a research environment
- The Kudek Lab is situated in the Versiti Blood Research Institute (VBRI) in Milwaukee Wisconsin. The VBRI is located on the Milwaukee Regional Medical Center campus, which includes the Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW), Children’s Wisconsin, and Froedtert Hospital. Researchers at the VBRI frequently collaborate with researchers at MCW and the Children’s Research
Institute, and many core facilities and animal facilities are shared among these programs and institutions.
- Dr. Kudek collaborates closely with and is mentored by Dr. Weiguo Cui, an R01 funded Senior Investigator at the Versiti Blood Research Institute. Through this collaboration, the postdoctoral researcher in Dr. Kudek’s lab will have close access to Dr. Cui and may receive additional mentorship and guidance on research and career development. Opportunities for collaboration on research projects with the students and postdoctoral researchers in the Cui Lab may also exist.
- Salary will be commensurate with postdoctoral stipend levels as outlined in the NIH notice NOT-OD-21-049.
- Fringe benefits including health insurance, disability plans, paid time off and holidays will also be provided through Versiti.