Nanyang Technological University (NTU) invites applications for a position of Assistant Professor/Associate Professor (Tenure-track) in Computational Optics, Photonics, and Imaging.
In association with the creation of the new Research Centre of Excellence Institute for Digital Molecular Analytics and Science (IDMxS), we have an opening for a member of faculty to join NTU at the Assistant/Associate Professor level. This Institute is envisioned to foster the development of new methods to connect the biological and living world with the world of information technology and data science.
We are seeking a candidate who will develop, lead and sustain research of an international standard in computational optics, photonics, and imaging. The candidate will identify synergies with experimental and other theory groups in the Institute and NTU and seek new opportunities for collaborations in the wider international community. Candidates should also demonstrate the ability to combine theoretical knowledge with practical development of computational solutions and systems.
This position will be held at the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Areas and priorities that we wish to develop and support through this appointment include:
- Development and optimisation of novel biosensing platforms for single molecular analytics.
- Modelling techniques for biological, chemical and molecular imaging and imaging through scattering media.
- Study of light matter interactions in nano-optics, plasmonic and micro-resonator systems.
- Quantitative analytic methods for applications in sensing, imaging and/or the biomedical sciences.
- Informatic, statistical inference and machine learning approaches to data analysis, image processing and system design.
- Develop and lead an innovative research programme of international quality
- Publish high quality papers in reputable peer-reviewed journals
- Secure competitive research grants
- Give talks at international conferences, and supervise research personnel
- Contribute to teaching and course development at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Supervise undergraduate and graduate students undertaking research projects.
- Undertake administrative and/or leadership roles.
- Contribute to other service-related activities assigned by School and University.
Knowledge and Qualifications
PhD in Optics or a related discipline
- Extensive knowledge of current research within the fields of optical imaging, sensing and nanophotonics generally and particularly in a sub-field overlapping and complementing areas pursued by IDMxS.
- Evidence of a developing international reputation in this field of research, for example fellowships, awards, invited presentations at international conferences, journal editorships or otherwise.
- Established track record of academic publications of international quality.
- Proven track record of securing funding as Co-I or lead investigator.
- Membership of relevant discipline or professional body/learned society.
- Ability and drive to develop project activities in one or more of the fields detailed above.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to enthuse students.
- Time/project/budget management skills.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to secure research grant funding and initiate new projects; lead a research team and develop an international research profile.
- Ability to work in collaboration with colleagues.
- Ability to take on a leadership role and motivate students.
- Ability to accept collegiate responsibilities and act accordingly.
- Significant research leadership and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrable ability to provide strategic contribution at Subject or School level.
- Strong track record of relevant research and broader academic experience.
- Experience of successful teaching, tutoring and mentoring of research students and undergraduate students.
- Experience as PI or key contributor on external research grants.
- Strong and growing reputation for research leadership in an area which will broaden and strengthen the Institute’s research activities.
- Experience in leading successful research grant applications, collaborations and in managing projects.
- A strong track record of gaining research funding.
- Significant broad teaching experience at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Experience in curriculum development, marking and assessment.
- Experience of supervision of higher degrees (PhD).
- Experience in cross-disciplinary research initiatives, and international/industrial collaborations.
Applicants are invited to submit their applications (cover letter, CV, research and teaching statements, and citation report, where applicable) through the NTU career portal.
Review of applications and shortlisting of applicants will be carried out on an on-going basis until the position is filled.