The Data Intensive Studies Center (DISC) is a university-wide, interdisciplinary center dedicated to data-intensive research and pedagogy, studying the science of data and its use in application domains that span the breadth of the university. DISC is creating a collaborative, application-driven environment that simultaneously fosters the development of new methods for extracting meaning from data and the application of those methods to a host of domain areas relevant to Tufts. Lastly, the center will provide a university-wide forum for identifying strategic opportunities best addressed by combining expertise in the science of data and application domains.
What You'll Do
DISC is seeking to fill 1 staff scientist position in Data Science with a focus on applications in biomedical sciences bioinformatics, computational statistics statistical machine learning computing with large data. Responsibilities of the Data Scientist II position are as follows. Plan and conduct research independently, including data collection and implementation of analytical methods in accordance with goals. Collaborate with biomedical faculty and other research staff members to identify novel research methods. Develop projects and plans to implement these methods. Contribute original research and publish in peer-reviewed journals. Participate in securing grant funding from the government or other peer-reviewed sources independently or collaboratively. Participate in teaching and mentoring, including guidance to graduate students, postdoctoral scholars and less experienced scientists.
What We're Looking For
- A PhD and 3years of experience in broad areas of Applied Mathematics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science and Statistics Or MS with 8 years of experience.
- Demonstrated expertise with multi-omic data, including genome-wide genotyping, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, methylation data.
- Demonstrated ability to make significant contributions to related scientific research and scholarship.
- Strong potential to direct own research, as well as participation in the mentoring and training of graduate students and younger scientists and regular, significant, contributions published in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated expertise in managing and analyzing large data sets, programming competencies as related to these tasks.
- Made significant contributions to related scientific research and scholarship though contributions published in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated potential as a research scientist and has familiarity of external funding from government and/or other peer-reviewed sources.
- Experience in teaching and curriculum development for courses or workshops.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
May need to work as needed and travel to and from Tufts three campuses (Boston, Grafton, and Medford).
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.