Project Policy Analyst 3 (7398U) - Berkeley Seismological Lab (BSL)
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Berkeley Seismological Laboratory conducts essential research on earthquakes and solid earth processes while collecting and delivering high quality geophysical data. We provide robust and real-time earthquake and hazard information on Northern California earthquakes, in collaboration with our partners. We enable the broad consumption of earthquake information by the general public while educating and training students at all levels.
The incumbent for this role uses skills as a seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of analytical practices, policies and procedures; researches, analyzes and develops solutions to a wide range of issues. The Project Policy Analyst 3 demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. This individual primarily deals with policies, programs and proposals which are complex in nature and diverse in scope. Develops new programs, policies or procedures for possible implementation.
This is a one-year contract position
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 3, 2022 - Open Until Filled
This is a one-year contract position
20% Provides analyses for coordinating activities with technical earthquake early warning (EEW) systems users, including such things as maintaining technical user contact databases; connectivity requests; acting as an informational and support resource for users; and providing a single point of contact at the BSL to handle confidential ShakeAlert information. ShakeAlert technical users include researchers, university partners, entrepreneurs and fortune 500 companies.
This incumbent will summarize academic, data, systems and resource projects for all levels of ShakeAlert Stakeholders or technical users.
20% The incumbent will coordinate ShakeAlert User Engagement Meetings for both BSL and ShakeAlert project partner agencies: including invitations, coordinating venue and catering needs, drafting agendas, inviting and coordinating speakers.
15% Incumbent will absorb and summarize a wide range of subject matter knowledge. Represent the BSL as a subject matter expert for the ShakeAlert system. This can include the development of technical guides, user manuals, video tutorials, or other tools and/or materials which summarizes best practices in field. May mentor less experienced staff members.
15% Proposes, leads and / or participates on policy and planning committees and working groups both in person and virtual. Provides strategy development for organizational or research initiative. Provides technical guidance and quality assessment and responds to technical users inquiries.
10% Conducts post-implementation analysis to determine the need for further enhancements, finer distinctions and / or additional process /policy components. Develops proposals and recommendations to guide and support a broader strategic direction for the organization or initiative. Provides technical guidance and quality assessment. Excel at the delivery of directives, regulations, technical guidance, and other instructions for issuance to stakeholders.
10% Researches and analyzes processes and procedures, summarizes findings, policies and organizational structures in order to develop and /or implement changes and to provide consultative services to ShakeAlert technical users and external stakeholders.
10% Provides a variety of duties in support of a function, research initiative, program and / or organizational unit as assigned.
- Proficient in common organization- or research-specific and other computer application programs.(specifically Atlassian and Google Suite)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate earthquake principles and earthquake safety to a wide range of audiences from technical users to the general public. Technical users include researchers, university partners, entrepreneurs and fortune 500 companies.
- Thorough written, verbal and interpersonal communications, tact and political acumen to effectively represent the ShakeAlert project. Proficient ability to use discretion and maintain all confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of the BSL and ShakeAlert, its mission, goals, objectives, programs, achievements, infrastructure and issues of concern. Through analytical /problem-solving skills, demonstrates ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.
- Using analytical and critical thinking skills, including sound judgment and decision-making skills and skills, correctly identify real and potential problems. Incumbent will advise ShakeAlert management as required, and propose effective strategic resolutions.
- Strong working knowledge of, or similar, earthquake early warning and earthquake safety. Strong skills in analyzing, researching and synthesizing large amounts of data for preparing sound and relevant proposals / analyses. Proficient in the ability to organize, analyze, research, digest, and synthesize large amounts of data with strong attention to detail.
- Proficient in project management, including event planning and meeting deadlines. Ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Proficient in managing, and mentor other staff members in managing, outreach activities.
- 3+ years of experience with project workflow and/or background in project management.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=31540&PostingSeq=1
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency