Postdoc Position in Extreme Precipitation Characterization
This multi-year, grant-funded position at Spelman College will participate in a study to advance scientific understanding of extreme precipitation characteristics for seasonality and magnitude, time scale, and relation to large-scale factors including oceanic-atmospheric oscillations and tropical cyclones. Will be working remotely temporarily.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluate temporal changes in the probability distributions of Eastern USA’s precipitation and investigate the possible effects of large-scale climate patterns (climate variability modes) and tropical cyclones on changes in the distribution of precipitation
- Systematically characterize the heterogeneous sub-population or mixtures in the daily precipitation extremes by separating the tropical cyclone precipitation and non-tropical cyclone precipitation
- Model tropical cyclone precipitation and non-tropical cyclone precipitation as mixed population that weigh the individual extreme event-generating phenomenon appropriately.
- This position will develop and apply innovative statistical approaches for assessing changes in precipitation extremes and their underlying physical causes.
- Present research findings at professional conferences.
- Perform the research required by the faculty supervisor to a high standard and in accordance with all institutional and federal regulations.
- Work in a collegial and cooperative manner with the faculty supervisor and other co-workers.
- Supervise and train undergraduate research assistants.
Ph.D. required in meteorology, atmospheric or climate sciences, with experience studying climate variability and change. Excellent data analysis, statistical analysis, and data visualization skills required.
Must possess excellent programming skills in several languages (R being preferred). Must possess a high level of productivity for peer-reviewed publications.
Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
Application review will begin immediately.
To apply, please provide (1) a cover letter, (2) curriculum vitae, and (3) the name, address, phone number, and email address of at least one (1) professional reference to Dr. Nirajan Dhakal (email@example.com). You must also submit an on-line application via the Spelman College website at https://spelman.peopleadmin.com/postings/2784