Two fully-funded Ph.D. positions are available at the Bioinspired & Integrative Science Lab, Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Candidates with research interests in the areas of Materials Sciences, Machine Learning, and Biotechnology are encouraged to apply. We seek highly motivated candidates with a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Chemistry, or Biology (or related Engineering fields). We are interested in students with a strong background in fundamental disciplines.
Candidates will be part of a young and vibrant environment and are expected to cooperate in a multi-disciplinary team to conduct cutting-edge research. At the Bioinspired & Integrative Science Lab you will have the opportunity to develop as a scientist and produce science at the highest level while tackling critical global problems. Our lab understands science and technology as tools to build a better world, being our research’s societal impact the primary driver of our work. In the last year alone, we have developed the first generalizable route to circular manufacturing in cities (by linking additive manufacturing with waste management). Produced chips to understand and predict breast cancer development. We have developed materials and production models for extraplanetary colonization and "forced" a population of stem cells to become beating heart cells using a 3D printer.
For a general overview and history of our research, please refer to our opinion article: "The biomaterial age" https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590238520301806
- Circular manufacturing: https://www.innovationnewsnetwork.com/could-the-shells-of-insects-be-the-mi…
- Building on Mars: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/16/world/mars-building-material-scn/index.h…
- Making heart cells with a 3D printer: https://www.sutd.edu.sg/Research/Research-News/2020/8/SUTD-Researchers-Crea…
- Mimicking breast cancer in chips: https://www.advancedsciencenews.com/mimicking-mechanical-properties-of-tiss…
The Ph.D. Program at SUTD offers attractive tax-free scholarships and additional funding for annual conference travel. Candidates with outstanding academic credentials will be generously funded by the SUTD President’s Graduate Fellowship: http://www.sutd.edu.sg/phd_scholarships.aspx.
To declare your interest please send your CV directly to email@example.com
Your online applications should be submitted to: http://www.sutd.edu.sg/phd_application.aspx
Applications will be processed as they arrive until the position is filled. Applications must be FULLY completed no later than 28th February 2021. The selected candidates are expected to begin work in September 2021.
- About the Bioinspired & Integrative Science Lab: The Bioinspired & Integrative Science Lab produces results from animal physiology and genetics, to medical technologies and sustainable materials. Our goal is to contribute to scientific knowledge but also to have a societal impact. Our multidisciplinary approach to science and technology has been highlighted by the most important media around the world. From BBC to National Geographic, our scientific results have been described as "the technology that will change the world", "ground-breaking" and "extremely elegant solutions". For more information visit: http://www.jgfermart.com
- About SUTD: The Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) is the 4th University in Singapore, founded in collaboration with MIT in 2009. It is MIT’s most significant collaboration on education to date, established to advance knowledge and nurture technically grounded leaders and innovators to serve societal needs. http://www.sutd.edu.sg