2020 UNSW Scientia PhD Scholarships
Work type: Fixed term / Full time
Location: Sydney, NSW, Canberra, ACT
Categories: PhD Scholarships
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities known for innovative and pioneering research
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Build your career by harnessing Scientia’s cutting-edge research capabilities to solve complex global problems to improve the lives of people in local and global communities
Be part of the UNSW team
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being an educational institution/workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
UNSW is already at the cutting edge of academia with a strong and growing international reputation. As a global leader in discovery, innovation, impact, education and thought leadership, UNSW is making an enormous difference to the lives of people in Australia and around the world. We believe in consistently evolving and improving our existing world-leading research capabilities.
Diversity & Inclusion at UNSW
Our aspiration is to be recognised as an international exemplar in equity, diversity and inclusion and an educational institution of choice for people from diverse backgrounds. We aim to achieve this by embracing the diversity and cultural richness of our communities; ensuring that our staff and students can achieve their full potential in a supportive and inclusive work environment. Our diversity commitment aligns to our strong sense of social responsibility and our belief that a diverse student body and workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class research, teaching excellence and thought leadership.
About the Scientia PhD Scholarship
The UNSW Scientia PhD Scholarship Scheme aims to attract the best and brightest people into identified strategic research areas while empowering them with a culture of research excellence, mentoring, career development, leadership and community. The Scheme provides 4 years of funding for the candidate to complete a PhD at UNSW. The scheme will be granted across all Faculties in areas of identified research strengths while reflecting the disciplinary, gender and cultural diversity of UNSW.
There are 62 scholarships available in 2020.
The strategic areas that are being supported in 2020 are Biomedical Sciences, Contemporary Humanities and Creative Arts, Global Health, Grand Challenges, Indigenous, Interdisciplinary research, Law, Business and Economics, Social Justice, Government and Health Policy, and Technology and Innovation.
Scientia PhD Scholarship Opportunity
Successful candidates will be able to work on high quality research projects with the best supervisory teams in world class environments.
UNSW Scientia PhD candidates will be awarded a scholarship package of $41,209 per annum (2019 rate, indexed), comprising a tax-free living allowance for 4 years.
Successful candidate’s Tuition Fee will be completely covered for the full four year candidature.
Successful candidates will be supervised by teams of UNSW’s best researchers who have demonstrated capacity in excellence in research and high quality supervision committed to developing and mentoring PhD scholars.
Successful candidates will have a great opportunity for Personal Development Coaching and Mentoring that will form a critical part of the candidate’s personalised leadership development plan.
Successful candidates will be provided with individualised professional and career development opportunity which includes a support package of up to $10,000 per annum to provide financial support for career development activities to assist them with achieving their career goals during their PhD program. The plans are personalised, and can include formal courses, teaching, industry internships, as well as international research collaborations along with key professional development workshops at the University.
About the successful Scientia PhD Scholarship Candidate
The Scientia Scheme is a structured 4-year program therefore candidates are expected to commence the first year of their candidature in Terms 1, 2 or 3 2020.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
a) meet UNSW admission requirements; and
b) meet residency requirements; and
c) not be enrolled in a PhD program at either UNSW or another university at the time of application; and
d) apply as a full-time candidate; and
e) be nominated by a UNSW approved supervisory team
Successful candidates must be located on a UNSW campus for a minimum of 2 years which must include the first year of the program.
Application Process for Scientia PhD Scholarship
The application process for the Scientia PhD Scholarships shall be as follows:
1. Prospective Applicants should identify a UNSW Scientia Scholarship Scheme project and supervisory team with which they would like to be involved.
2. Prospective Applicants should submit an expression of interest to the supervisory team via the Scientia UNSW website (https://www.scientia.unsw.edu.au/scientia-phd-scholarships) and provide information on their research experience and qualifications.
3. If a prospective applicant’s experience and skills match the supervisory team expectations, the applicant will be contacted to discuss the project and the subsequent steps to take.
4. Supervisory team will nominate up to 2 applicants for consideration.
5. Nominated applicants will be invited to submit a full application, which should be done in consultation with the supervisory team.
6. Applicants must only use the UNSW Apply Online system to complete their application and upload the application form. (https://applyonline.unsw.edu.au/login)
7. Applications will be assessed by Faculties and SHARPest Committee.
8. Applications ranked and scholarship allocations made. Offers made in October.
For general information about the scheme, including guidelines, FAQs and, Terms and Conditions please visit:
For any general enquiries about the scheme not covered by the guidelines and FAQs please contact: