Lab Assistant Doudna Lab - QB3 Institute (9602C) - 29774
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences (QB3) is a cooperative effort between the state of California, private industry, venture capital, and the University of California campuses at Berkeley, San Francisco, and Santa Cruz. In order to stimulate discovery at the intersection of the physical and biological sciences, QB3 promotes multidisciplinary research at world-class facilities, creates innovative educational programs, and fosters industry partnerships. The Institute's more than 180 researchers decipher the complex systems involved in living systems and discover ground-breaking applications for that basic knowledge in the areas of health, energy, and the environment.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: January 28, 2022.
- Generating reagents for biochemical and molecular biology assays, performing independent experiments as part of larger projects.
- Assisting with complex lab experiments.
- Processing Data.
- Organizing and storing laboratory equipment.
- Scheduling dates for experiment.
- Strong organizational skills. Molecular biology experience. Experience with handling nucleic acids, in particular RNA, is desirable.
- Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and three years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and two years of laboratory experience and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position and/or equivalent training or experience. Extensive previous wet laboratory experience.
- Advanced experience with general and specific biological and biochemical techniques, methods for nucleic acid and protein preparation. Good communication skills. Ability to keep a detailed record of experiments and results.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
- This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment, eligible for full UC benefits.
- QB3 Institute is looking to hire three lab assistants. This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Technical Unit (TX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/tx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=29774&PostingSeq=1