Search for University Jobs in Sciences
Lab Manager (9612C) - 35422
University of California, Berkeley
Lab Manager (9612C) - 35422
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Department of Integrative Biology is a dynamic group of researchers answering important questions in evolutionary, ecological and functional biology in an interdisciplinary collaborative environment. IB shares rich connections with 4 natural history museums, and is a leading force in promoting field research and educational opportunities. We address problems relevant to human health and origins, the diversity of life, and biological interactions at all scales.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 05/19/2022.
- Lab management - purchasing, inventory maintenance, health and safety, student training, reimbursements.
- Cricket colony maintenance:
- Preparing cricket food and husbandry materials for all cricket colonies, supervise work study student(s) as they carry out colony maintenance and basic animal care, help with cricket colony care and maintenance as required.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes data on cricket colony outputs (e.g. total numbers, morph and sex ratios), and outcomes of breeding experiments.
- Participates in lab meetings, grasshopper team meetings, student meetings, and individual meetings with the PI.
- Develop and carry out independent research on alpine grasshoppers, in collaboration with co-PIs of NSF grant.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Enthusiasm for science.
- Basic knowledge of animal ecology and evolution.
- Excellent record keeping skills.
- Ability to work in a collaborative team, take direction, and supervise students.
- Good communication skills and ability to accept feedback.
- Open to participating in activities designed to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion in STEM.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology or related field and/or equivalent training/experience.
- Experience in husbandry of insects or other animals.
- Course work in animal ecophysiology or evolutionary biology.
- Ability to read, interpret and synthesize primary scientific literature.
- Coursework or experience in data management and analysis, especially using R.
- Demonstrated science communication skills.
- Interest in carrying out independent scientific research and participating in professional development.
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity, equity and inclusion in STEM.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) exempt career position, which is paid monthly and eligible for full UC Benefits. Annual salary is commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Please upload the document in the Resume section, then skip the (optional) Cover Letter upload section.
This is a hybrid position, with 40% remote work eligibility.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Research Support Professionals Unit (RX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/rx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=35422&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |