Post-doc Development of Microbial Fuel Cell for waste/wastewater treatment - REF 22PDR173
EACH-USP: Laboratory of Env. Technology
University de São Paulo
Development of Microbial Fuel Cell for waste/wastewater treatment and electricity production – experimental studies.
Research theme area:
Bioprocess Engineering, Environmental Biotechnology, Electrochemical Microbial Technologies
The candidate will collaborate with researchers from the project 56 of the FAPESP-Shell Research Centre for Gas Innovation of POLI-USP at the University of São Paulo. Summary of the program and projects can be found at the RCGI website (http://www.rcgi.poli.usp.br/).
The research object of this project is the development of an innovative solution to mitigate the environmental impacts resulting from the final disposal of urban, industrial and agro-industrial wastewater. The project consists of a bioelectrochemical device called microbial fuel cell (MFC) for this purpose.
The results we seek will allow a scientific advance that encompasses several areas of knowledge that converge in favour of the improvement of Microbial Fuel Cell biotechnology. Being strategic areas in Brazil - water resources, environmental sanitation and energy -, this contribution aims to increase sustainability in waste treatment and renewable energy solutions, in line with the goals of the Sustainable Development Goals (2030 Agenda - UN).
In more specific terms, this project seeks to contribute to solutions in a complex problem. Effluents from different industrial sectors will be evaluated in the system (MFC). The present approach foresees the development of a solution from a prototype that seeks a sustainable solution by transforming the problem - polluting effect of wastewater - into renewable electricity production, synergistically promoting sustainability in the scope of wastewater treatment and production of a clean and renewable source of energy.
The post-doc researcher will develop the following activities:
To develop research activities related to the development of the microbial community and its treatment potential with electric current generation from a new microbial fuel cell (MFC) system, using a combination of processes for the oxidation of organic matter and ammoniacal nitrogen.
• Literature review on the multifunctionality of different types of BES/MFC, with an emphasis in bioprocess for BES/MFC;
• Characterize and evaluate the microbial community, the main enzymes produced and the relationship with the electrochemical characteristics of each reactor.
• Compare with literature data to identify microorganisms associated with the bioprocess and production of electrochemical energy in the proposed systems,
• Plan and set up experiments on an experimental scale.
• Evaluate, in the bioelectrochemical process;
• Optimize the system's power generation potential;
• Write new research proposals for funding;
• Systematize results and writing scientific articles for high impact international journals.
Requirements to fill the position:
The postdoc candidate should hold a PhD or DSc in Biotechnology, Microbiology, Environmental Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering or related fields (Title certificate will be required for the acceptance of the grant);
- Experience in environmental biotechnology and bioprocess (bioreactors);
- Literature review skills;
- Laboratory microbial analysis and chemical skills;
- Laboratory experiments design and operation for wastewater treatment;
- Bioelectrochemistry knowledge and experience are desirable (but not requirement)
- Good knowledge of Portuguese and English;
This Postdoc Fellowship is funded by FUSP. The fellowship will cover a standard maintenance stipend of R$ 8.479,07 (reais) per month.
Position: Post-Doctoral REF: 22PDR173
https://www.rcgi.poli.usp.br/opportunities-aplication/ AND APPLICATION AT REF 22PDR173 – Post Doctoral