Research in the Iyer Stem Cell and Regeneration lab focuses on engineering human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs) to understand and regenerate region-specific neural circuits in the spinal cord. Projects involve directing hPSC fate, developmental and neurodegenerative disease modeling in vitro, and biomanufacturing cell therapies. We are a small but growing team of collaborative, interdisciplinary scientists and engineers spanning biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, molecular biology, developmental biology, and neuroscience. We value inclusivity and promote creative teamwork as a means to develop innovative solutions to critical biomedical problems and enhance our mission to train the next generation of scientists. We are interested in highly self-motivated and collaborative team members, and will orient your experience in the lab to help you achieve your long-term professional goals.
What You'll Do
Under the close supervision of the Principal Investigator, the Research Technician will manage daily/weekly lab maintenance tasks, assist in the cultivation of human stem cells, and provide support for a range standardized assays used in the laboratory. professional goals.
• Maintaining laboratory equipment, including troubleshooting of instruments, taking and recording corrective actions, maintenance of equipment in working order.
• Assist in the setup of new procedures, modification of existing procedures, update of procedure manuals
• Participate in lab duties maintaining shared lab space and supplies
• Attends mandatory annual training sessions in fire safety, chemical hygiene, and laboratory safety, HIPAA compliance
• Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed i.e., assisting in order and stock levels, making lab stock solutions for assays and culture medium, autoclave trash, waste pick-up coordinator, protocol write-ups and updates of general lab activities
• Cell culture - standard cell culture techniques, media preparation, cell expansion, cell storage
• Molecular biology - standard assays (qPCR), protein and immunohistochemistry characterization of cells and tissue samples
• Specific experimental assistance as needed
What We're Looking For
• Knowledge and skills typically acquired by a BS degree in biomedical engineering, biology, neuroscience, or a related field.
• Wet lab, biological laboratory experience (academic or industrial)
• Ability to work accurately, effectively, within a team and independently under pressure and to meet deadlines
• Ability to manage work with minimal supervision.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; highly self-motivated
• Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to pay close attention to detail
• Motivation to learn and grow in scientific expertise
• Ability to trouble-shoot technical issues
• Ability to plan and prioritize work while responding flexibly to rapidly changing priorities
• BS degree in Biomedical Engineering, Biology, Neuroscience, or a related field
• Experience in mammalian cell culture, basic molecular biology techniques, and fluorescence imaging
• Ability to read scientific literature and adapt/design new protocols
• Accurate, detailed data and record keeping
• Experience with ImageJ, statistical software and/or programming