The University of San Diego seeks a recent Ph.D. (< 3 years) who has a proven record and commitment to empowering students from communities that are underrepresented in academia through research, creative activity, teaching, service and/or mentoring. We are especially interested in advancing the perspectives of African Americans, American Indian/Alaskan Natives, Filipinas/os/x, Chicanas/os/x, Latinas/os/x and/or Pacific Islanders. The Environmental and Ocean Sciences (EOSC) Department will sponsor a postdoctoral fellow who is specialized in either a) physical environmental science (marine geology, aquatic geochemistry, coastal geomorphology, sedimentology, climatology or geographic information systems) or b) biological environmental science (ecology, marine biology, biological oceanography, environmental biology, aquatic resources or field ecology). In addition to conducting collaborative research, the fellow will teach three courses per year, including an EOSC introductory course (http://www.sandiego.edu/cas/environmental-ocean-sciences/program/curriculum.php) and possibly an upper-level specialty course. The fellow will have an opportunity to mentor student research and to engage in diverse departmental outreach activities (e.g., Climate Education Partners, K-12 STEM, Ocean Discovery Institute, Mater Dei Catholic High School, National Ocean Sciences Bowl, etc.). EOSC faculty maintains strong ties with marine and environmental researchers at multiple local institutions, which will provide abundant opportunities for networking. USD is an independent Catholic university whose primary aim is teaching excellence.
Candidates must have completed their PhD no more than three years before the starting date (August 2017). Candidates who have not yet had a tenure-track faculty position will have priority. Awards include a competitive salary, benefits package, and travel funds for conference participation.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits. This is an 11-month position paid over 12 months.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. http://www.sandiego.edu/hr/benefits/
Hours: 40 hours per week
Closing date: For full consideration, materials must be received by February 9, 2017, 5:00PM PST.
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
Please complete the following steps:
1. Go to www.sandiego.edu/jobs/, look for job, IRC#22559 and complete the application form, to register as an applicant through USD.
2. Create a single PDF document that includes the materials listed below and submit it directly to, email@example.com
- cover letter,
- curriculum vitae,
- statement about commitment and experience teaching and mentoring students from communities that have historically been underrepresented,
- statement of teaching philosophy,
- statement of research/creative activity plans and goals with thoughtful integration into the mission and vision of the university,
- sample of scholarly or creative work,
- sample syllabus for lower division course (and upper division course, if available), and
- names of three recommenders who will be providing letters of support
3. Have your recommenders send letter of support directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, please have them include your name in the title of the email.
If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com.