Responsible for providing departmental leadership that supports the mission, vision and strategic goals of the College and University. Responsible for the development, implementation, evaluation and management of assigned academic programs (including additional educational sites as appropriate), academic services, budget, and departmental employees. Provides leadership in curriculum, academic assessment, strategic planning and budgeting. Employs enrollment management and retention strategies. Fosters collaborative working relationships with internal and external constituents to communicate and coordinate initiatives that support College and University goals.
Essential Job Functions
1. Manage faculty and department procedures:
2. Establish an environment within the department that encourages excellence in teaching and learning:
3. Provide faculty supervision as needed and to include:
4. Supervise departmental administrative assistant, complete annual evaluation and sign off on weekly e-time cards.
5. Update Academic Quarterly and Catalog as requested.
6. Attend and participate in College of Graduate and Undergraduate Studies (CGUS) Department Head meetings as scheduled by the Dean.
7. Address and resolve problems or other issues affecting the department such as curriculum, policies and procedures.
8. Maintain departmental files. Keep faculty abreast of college and university policies and procedures.
9. Stand in for Dean when necessary.
10. Attend and participate in Graduation activities.
Additional Duties And Responsibilities
1. Assumes additional responsibilities and performs special projects as needed or requested.
2. Exhibits student centeredness in performance of all job duties.
3. Treats all others with respect; understands the impact of culture/background on the behavior of others; respects differences among the Life community and demonstrates inclusive behavior.
4. Anticipates, listens to, understands and responds to student and other constituent needs. Delivers work products and services to students and other constituents in a way that reflects positively upon the department and the University.
Education, Training and/or Experience
1. Masters’ degree in discipline relative to area of responsibility.
Terminal degree in one of the areas within the department.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
1. Strong presentation and meeting facilitation skills.
2. Exceptional writing skills and experience.
3. Ability to work with and maintain confidential employee information.
4. Experience in development and implementation of policies and procedures.
5. Team building and supervisory skills; organizational and staff development skills.
6. Able to prioritize and manage multiple projects, adhering to strict timelines.
7. Strong interpersonal skills.
8. High degree of initiative and independent judgment.
9. Well-developed analytical and problem solving abilities.
10. Ability to develop and manage budgets.
11. Appropriate multimedia and computer skills.
Requisition ID : 1474