The University of Sharjah is an autonomous institution with more than 15,000 students and 650 full-time faculty members. The University of Sharjah is considered a leading institution of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East. It offers academic programs in a number of specializations, including the arts, humanities and social sciences, medical specialties, health sciences, engineering, applied sciences, business administration, communication, law, Sharia and Islamic studies, and fine arts and design.
The University, which is located in Sharjah University City, offers a prime location and state-of-the-art facilities. It is close to Sharjah City Center, the emirates of Dubai and Ajman and the pristine coastal areas of Sharjah. The University of Sharjah attracts outstanding students from the UAE, GCC countries and a number of other Arab and foreign countries.
The College of Sciences was established at the University of Sharjah in 1997 as a part of the College of Arts and Sciences. It has since expanded to become its own separate college known as the College of Sciences. Departments in the college include: Computer Sciences, Applied Physics and Astronomy, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Applied Biology.
The College of Sciences offers the following degree programs: B.Sc. in Computer Sciences, B.Sc. in Information Technology (multimedia), B.Sc. in Chemistry, B.Sc. in Applied Physics, B.Sc. in Mathematics and B.Sc. in Biotechnology as well as an M.Sc. in Computer Sciences and M.Sc. in Biotechnology.
The college also offers service courses to all UOS students. Student numbers in the college’s bachelor and master degree programs now exceed 726.
The College of Sciences is distinguished for its high-quality programs and 98 outstanding faculty members, who possess international academic degree qualifications and experience from highly reputable universities.
The University of Sharjah is currently seeking to appoint a candidate for the position of Dean of the College of Sciences. The candidate will provide leadership at a critical stage as the college expands its research and academic programs. The new dean is expected to join the college at the beginning of the academic year 2019/2020.
Candidates interested in the position are encouraged to apply early by sending their application as soon as possible.
For more information about the College of Sciences, its departments and the conditions for applying, please visit the University website at: www.sharjah.ac.ae
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Dean of the College of Sciences is the most senior official representing the college and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
MANDATE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create and sustain a well-established network outside the college with the aim of facilitating the education process and training/research activities.
- Establish strategic directions/objectives and policies related to the education process and research activities in the college and all of its departments and oversee their application.
- Represent the University in relation to the college at various conferences and symposia outside the University.
- Propose recommendations for developing the annual college budget, implement and oversee the development and implementation processes, and conduct regular productivity and effectiveness analyses.
- Develop a network of visiting professors and experts to support the college’s education and research activities and its sustainability.
- Propose recommendations for the development of University policies and procedures and participate in the process of development.
- Coordinate agreements with relevant ministries, departments, and authorities inside and outside the UAE.
- Possess knowledge of human resources, administrative concepts, and higher education practices, policies and procedures.
- Establish research programs relevant to the region and work to strengthen and promote them.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work actively in a multicultural and diverse community.
- Possess experience in liaising with relevant networks and institutions with the aim of activating education and research processes.
- Possess expertise in dealing with foreign institutions/organizations and international accreditation bodies.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
The candidate shall have held academic and professional positions and possess a rich record in teaching and academic rigor at the international level. The candidate shall also demonstrate effective and continuous contributions to his/her fields of specialization in the form of published research in refereed international journals and participation at exhibitions, conferences, and forums, in addition to holding the following professional degrees, qualifications and experience:
- PhD from a recognized university.
- Rank of professor in one of the college specializations.
- Record of distinction in teaching and research, appropriate to the rank of a professor in one of the college specializations.
- Proficiency in English and Arabic writing and speaking (bilingual language proficiency).
- Leadership qualities and clear research background in one of the college specializations.
- A clear vision for the development of higher education, in general, and the college, in particular.
- Familiarity with the credit-hour system.
- Distinguished administrative experience in higher education affairs, preferably at the level of a dean at a reputable university.
- Experience with the program accreditation standards of specialized entities at national and international educational institutes.
- Knowledge of human resources and administrative and financial concepts, practices and policies.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of departments in a diversified community.
- Experience in communicating with universities, academic and professional institutions, associations, unions, companies, business administration institutions and other institutes focused on education and research.
Priority will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Administrative expertise and acumen in launching pioneering programs.
- Skills in dealing with multi-cultures.
- Active participation in prestigious organizations.
- Knowledge of assessment methods and matters.
- Evidence of the candidate’s support for the achievements of faculty members and students.
- Understanding of modern teaching methods, including the use of technology in the teaching process.
- Interest in the humanities and a commitment to enriching the educational experience of students.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and benefits package. For more information, please visit our website at: http//www.sharjah.ac.ae
For those interested, possessing the required experience and qualifications, please send your CV and cover letter, together with the names of three references (including current or most recent employer), to the email address below:
Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. The candidate may expect to begin work in August 2019. Applicants are requested to submit their applications by email in the form of attached files. Those who are shortlisted will be required to send their official university transcripts in a sealed envelope.